Fusion - Any Recommendations?

I really love this Italian 70's progressive group called AREA that are more like avant-garde fusion than anything else. Who knows a little about fusion and can recommend some classic must-haves?
soulgoober
I'm a big fan of Fusion. Whenever I see this question asked elsewhere, the results always mirror what I'm seeing here; the majority of the rec's are from 30+ years ago and/or groups like Fourplay are mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I dug Fourplay's 1st record and own a few of the Section's records (great band!) but I'd NEVER classify them as Fusion. Here's a short list of Fusion recordings that've been recorded within the last decade that are truly slammin'!

Karizma - Document
Jing-Chi - 3D
Cosmic farm
Flashpoint
Mathieson, LaBoriel, Landau, & Colauita - Live At The Baked Potato
Michael Landau - Live '06
Michael Landau - Tales From The Bulge
Scott Kinsey - Kinesthetics
Cab 4
Larry Carlton/Steve Lukather - Live In Osaka
Adam Holzman - JazzRocketScience
Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
Dave Weckl - Live
Garry Willis - Bent
Garry Willis - No Sweat
Derek Sherinian - Black Utopia
Simon Phillips - Out Of The Blue (Live)
Chambers, Berlin, Fiuczynski, & Lavitz - Boston T Party
Dennis Chambers - Outbreak
El Grupo - Live
Front Page
Howe, Wooten, & Chambers - Extraction
and lastly, an oldie from '91 that I consider a Fusion classic, good luck finding it!;)
Chroma - Music On The Edge

Most of these can be found over at Audiophile Imports. BTW, Caldera happens to be one of my favorite bands and for the record, Carlos Santana never played with them. The guitarist for this great band always was Jorge Strunz, playing rippin' electric before he went all-acoustic with Strunz & Farah. If you're diggin' true Fusion and DON'T own records by the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, or Weather Report, by all means, scoop these bad boys up but I'm here to tell ya that true Fusion is more than alive and well in the 21st Century!!;)
here's some more gems that haven't been mentioned (I don't think):

- "Electromagnets" self titles release - the group includes Eric Johnson on guitar
- Niacin - "Time Crunch" amazing Hammond B3 fusion.
- Kraan - "Live" this is a German group
- Jean Luc Ponty - "Aurora" and "Enigmatic Ocean"
alphonse mouzan golden rainbows with tommy bolin on guitar .jeff becks blow by blow.
"Return from Forever" - Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke on bass, some have Al dimeola on guitar, Alan White on drums. The albums "Romantic Warrior", or "No Mystery" are great.