Reference Level Recording of Classical on CD's?

Hello, I just set up a pretty good digital system. Now I am looking for some good quality CD's to enjoy. I am into classical, all difference styles and periods, from solo piano, chamber to full orchestral stuff. Please make some recomandations.

By the way, I stumbled upon Richard Goode's Beethoven sonata set, beautiful playing to go with excellent recording. Check it out if you haven't.
toufu
After going to Vinyl after 20 years of Classical on CD, there are only 3 CD's I kept for their stunning performance and sound quality: Vaughan Williams "Job," with Barry Wordsworth on Collins, (re-released on Naxos, same recording); Ginastera's Panambi with Gisele Ben-dor on Conifer, and Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra with Barenboim and the CSO. That's it, 3 CDs.
Mozart Piano Concertos - Most recent releases by Phillips with Brendel and the Scottish Chamber Orchesta conducted by Charles Makerras are excellent IMHO.

Jdaniel, I find that sad. But we are all somewhat self limiting in things that are not truly important to us I guess.

But, FWIW, why are you posting such a prideful description of your format choices in a Music forum? Post this in the ditigal forum for some brick's or in the vinyl forum if you want some friends.
Strange, I don't recall saying anything specifically negative about CDs...the three I mentioned happen to have what I consider extremely above average--spectacular in fact--sound for CDs. Your quick and defensive reply reveals more about your own misgivings about CD sound than my post ever could. Buh bye. : )
Have you heard Schubert's piano works?
If not, you have to!
"Evgeny Kissin & James Levine: The Carnegie Hall Concert" is excellent. You can listen to samples on amazon and see if you like it.

Also, "Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1; Piano Sonata No. 3; Rhapsodies, Op. 79; Piano Pieces, Opp. 117-119" with Radu Lupu is pretty good. Not a big fan of his version of the Brahms Concerto No.1, but the solo stuff is very good.

In addition to Audiophile1's recommendations I would add a couple of solo piano recordings of Schuberts works which I have found outstanding both for performance and recording. Volodos 'Solo Piano Works' by Schubert on Sony is really outstanding, as is Maria Joao Pires 'Le Voyage Magnifique' on DG.

If you are not familar with Schumann then I would suggest that you hear his Fantasy in C, Op17. One of the most engaging pieces for solo piano - it will sweep you away. There are many quite good versions, but I like Richard Goode's on Elektra Nonesuch as it includes an excellent rendition of Humoreske, Op20, as well.

Re Brahms, I don't know if these are still in print, but if they are you won't be disappointed with Antononin Kubalek's 2 recordings of much of Brahms solo piano music on the Dorian label, especially Vol 1 which has the Sonata #3 and 3 Intermezzi Op117.

By the way, Audiophile1, where did you get the Lupu recording - mine is with #3 on London 417122 and the Intermezzi on 417599. The latter includes 2 Rhapsodies and the Intermezzi. I don't disagree with you comments on Lupu BTW.

Toufu, if you are not familar with Brahms solo piano music, and you want something cheap, very assessible, and by a fine, relatively unknown, pianist pick up Idil Biret's Intermezzi Op117, Piano Pieces, Op118 & 119, and Scherzo.
(In fact, while the recording quality is varible - typical of Naxos, you really can't go wrong using Birets recordings on Naxos as an introduction to solo piano music of Chopin and Rachmaninoff as well as Brahms.

Chopin's Nocturnes and 4 Impromptus by Hewitt on Hyperion.

Lizst's Sonata in B by Nojima on Reference Recordings. This may not be my favorite performance BUT is an 'audiophile' recording of some merit.

Hope that helps a bit.

PS for Toufu, I don't know how I forgot to mention - for something which defies realization but succeeds, two CD's put out by TELARC which are reproductions of piano rolls of Rachmaninoff's own performances of his own music as well as transcriptions of the compositions of others. If you didn't know you wouldn't be able to identify the process and the recording quality is excellent. A Bosendorfer Grand Imperial in full bloom!

PS for Jdaniel, FWIW I have neither misgivings about the CD format, nor (for you at least - if judged by your responses in other threads) the newly discovered 'superiority of vinyl'.
I've been listening to both, with some decent equipment, for many years and each is full of warts. If you can't hear the warts in vinyl you will some day.

While you may not have specifically denegrated the CD format, you certainly imply that vinyl is superior by not only presenting your credentials to support your conclusions, but by limiting your response, without other qualification, to 3 recordings. I can assure Toufu that there are many outstanding recordings in either digital or vinyl. Perhaps you just haven't heard them them all. Yeh, I know, you've been invested in exploring digital for 20 years, and found only three outstanding CD's.

Dude, this is a music forum. Take your digital v analog crap elsewhere. Buh-bye.