Which Classical Recording is Best?

I would like to buy a vinyl record of beethoven, bach,or mozart performed recently by london symphony. Which would you recomend I buy for a first listenig encounter. A little history, I like ELP, ELO, and Jethro Tull!!!!!
Thank You from Mario
imnewton
"Hi, If you like ELO, ELP and Jethro Tull, you should check out Vivaldi- The Four Seasons as it has an almost rock like nature. "

If you say so. I don't hear it.

Kal
ELP had many adaptions of classical music to Rock. That is their genious.

"Pictures of an Exhibition" is an awesome rendition of Russian composers Mussorgsky's piece. I have a few versions of this and love Mussorgsky and Keith Emersons version. Very heavy and dark.

Fan Fare for the Common Man is and Arron Copland piece.

ELP is real classic(al) rock
Hmmm..., There is a tiny bit of new classical vinyl being released. Tacet has been releasing some very good orchestral and chamber recordings; the Beethoven symphony series with Wojcech Rajski conducting the Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra is well worth hearing. Classic Records has been doing a small series with Pavel Kogan and the Moscow State Symphony Orchestra. Fone has been releasing some new classical recordings on vinyl in limited quantity.

" there is no new classical vinyl nor has there been for many years."

My advice is to hit the used record stores. Firstly because there is virtually no new classical music released on vinyl. Secondly, even if there were, it probably wouldn't sound as good as the old records. Thirdly, used classical titles are usually quite cheap and you can buy as much as you can carry for under $50.
I've also found that used classical records tend to be in much better shape, on the average, than pop titles.
If you live out in the boonies, there's always Ebay. Caveat Emptor, however.

Cheers.

Tom
Thanks, Rushton, but the LP lines you mention are too limited and trivial to be relevant, especially since they (with the exception of Classic) are also releasing those on SACD. None of the LPs are multichannel. ;-)

Kal