Which Classical Recording is Best?

I would like to buy a vinyl record of beethoven, bach,or mozart performed recently by london symphony. Which would you recomend I buy for a first listenig encounter. A little history, I like ELP, ELO, and Jethro Tull!!!!!
Thank You from Mario
imnewton
My advice is to hit the used record stores. Firstly because there is virtually no new classical music released on vinyl. Secondly, even if there were, it probably wouldn't sound as good as the old records. Thirdly, used classical titles are usually quite cheap and you can buy as much as you can carry for under $50.
I've also found that used classical records tend to be in much better shape, on the average, than pop titles.
If you live out in the boonies, there's always Ebay. Caveat Emptor, however.

Cheers.

Tom
Thanks, Rushton, but the LP lines you mention are too limited and trivial to be relevant, especially since they (with the exception of Classic) are also releasing those on SACD. None of the LPs are multichannel. ;-)

Kal
Kal, thanks but you made an absolute statement which simply was not true. New classical recordings are in fact being made and released on vinyl; I'm enjoying a number of them, they are quite good, and I'm hoping to see more. I agree the numbers of titles are exceedingly few.

I do like your tongue in cheek observations that these LPs are not multchannel, however. :-)
I get your point, Rushton, and, technically, there are some. IMHO, they are inconsequential. (I don't think much of the Polish CPO's Beethoven and would rather listen to any one of more than a dozen others I have on LP, CD or SACD.)

Kal