Stevie Wonder-As

Hello fellow audiophiles and music lovers.

I am sitting here listening to Stevie Wonder on an old LP, the song is "As". I had forgotten just how much of a "masterpiece' this song, and the album on which it resides, really. I was just in the car and heard it on the radio, came home, dug up the LP, and am astounded sitting here in the presence of true greatness.

I am writing this in the off chance that there are others out there who, like me, may have forgotten how much greatness there is in this man's catalog.

All the best to all of us.

richard p
rpeluso
Stevie's song, "Lately" was incredible poetry, (1981/1982 off the Master Blaster album) was notable, very notable. He sings the first verse, then the bridge, then swells to one full octave above the previous, without employing his falsetto. What an incredible talent. Loved his "Songs in the Key of Life."
I remember an interview upon the release of that album, from Time Magazine, I think, in which he said, "I hope you like the album, but it was so rewarding to do it, that's my real enjoyment."
If I'm not mistaken, he performed EVERY instrument on that album HIMSELF.
Stevie's the man!
Rob

What does Michael Fremer know? He is a gnome with a turntable for all I know.

Stevie is without equal in the 1970s for consistently great music that will stand the test of time.
One of the Jazz instructors at a college that I used to attend got into a bit of hot water with some of the other faculty members when he suggested that "Stevie Wonder wrote a melody as good as anything Mozart ever did....."
Nice to see all the love for Stevie but I have a question. The majority of the posts understandably all refer to Stevie in the past tense, I mentioned Stevie's latest, 'A Time 2 Love', and NO ONE else has spoke about it. Why not? If you dig Stevie, if you recognize his genius, why wouldn't you support his latest effort (it's outstanding btw). If you dig Stevie, and you're NOT listening to his current work, who ARE you listening to that's taken his place? I'm curious and would really like to know, maybe I'm missing something.