Qawwali ....Nasrut Fateh Ali Khan

I'm looking for some serious Qawwali music. I like Nasrut, but many of his available recordings are mixed into dance music which I'm not a fan of. I prefer the real sufi stuff.

Was wondering if there are any spectacular Nasrut recordings where he really ascends to that higher plane...taking his audience with him. Live recordings would be preferred.

TAke this video of him on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8JuNTLBEeo

...if you forward to Minute 2.30... you can see in his eyes that he's there...
...at minute 3.00 he just takes off. I'd love to get this recording on CD. Alas, I'm unsure that it's avaialbe.
issabre
Yes-those are THE recordings.Looks as if they have gone out of print for the moment.Those prices are unrealistic.They will turn up for you at a reasonable price eventually.Enjoy!
A Pakistani friend of mine gave me these two CD's:

"Qawwali" by The Sabri Brothers & Ensemble on Nonesuch Explorer Series

and

"Jasn-E-Khusrau" by Arbida Parveen on Spectrum
Erider, the music, and the playing, on that Nikhil Bannerjee documentary is sublime. His mastery of his instrument is superb. Thank you very much for introducing that. I have been to Indian classical concerts, but I own no Indian classical recordings. Having heard that, I will seek some out.
In these days of talentless artists playing meaningless, souless music, who make up for their shortcomings with glitz, heavily choreographed dance moves and scandalous appearances it is nice to come across the few like NFAK, Nikhil Banerjee, Bismillah Khan, Eva Cassidy, Emil Gilels, and others. These are the artists for whom it was only music that mattered.

I am surprised that so many of you have enjoyed Nikhil Banerjee's performances. Thank you for writing and simply letting me know. Perhaps you may also want to drop Steve Baigel a line. The documentary is a labor of love for him and it is a long time coming. Steve has been using his own funds to make it and he is far from being rich. His eventual hope is that he will be able to sell it to PBS etc.

There are quite a few of NFAK's DVDs available. They are mermerizing to say the least. The best way to watch them is to grab yourself a strong cup of Kashmiri Indian Chai, turn up the volume and enjoy.
NFAK was an artist who is born once in a century. With his sheer vocal power, he could bring a spell to his audience. He was and remains in a league of his own. It seems unfortunate that just when he was bringing an impact of his music to the Western world, he passed away. However, I feel he had accomplished his mission and he left a legacy that is going to stay there so long as there rae music lovers on the planet.

During the last 4-5 years of his life, he was too involved in commericial ventures and was spending more time on mixing his Qawaali music with techno and hip hop, which I do not find particularly attractive but do not hate either (just because of my admiration for his voice). This and a deteriorating health had stopped bringing the best creativity out of him, which is so vitally important for any form of art but more so for Qawwali music that needs constant practice. He was at his peak during the 1980s when he was in his 30s -- the contrast of his musical power at the young age and later age is so distinct.

Here is an article that I wrote in another forum about NFAK.

Hello Folks:
I introduce you to a new world of music. This is the world of music of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, the master singer from Pakistan, whose voice is a voice from heaven. A singer with tremendous talent and sheer vocal power, I consider him to be the best male vocalist that I have heard – and I listen to a large variety of music including rock, classical, jazz, Chinese, and many other kinds (I have more than 1200 CDs). NSAK sings a special kind of music called Qawwali, which is the devotional music of Sufism, the mystical branch of Islam. Qawwali originated in Iran and India during the tenth century when the Indian and Arab cultures blended. Qawwali in its present from is said to have been invented by Amir Khusro, a philosopher, scientist, and musician in India, who held an esteemed position in the Indian Muslim emperor dynasty known as Mughals. Amir Khusro is also known for his invention of the Sittar, a string musical instrument.

Qawwali is Sufis’ music. They used it, despite the opposition of the more traditional Islamic scholars, to sing and dance to convey the spiritual meaning of their religion. There are similarities between Qawwals (those who sing Qawwali) and Turkish dervishes. Qawwali is performed in front of live audience for different occasions. The message of Qawwali songs is not just related to God but also sometimes about love and devotion, transcending the religious boundaries and going to extreme in the praise of the lover. The objective is to sing and sometimes dance ecstatically and bring a spell on the audience.

NFAK, who sadly passed away in 1997 before turning fifty, is responsible for rejuvenating the art of Qawwali, and beyond the boundaries of his own country. He caught the eye of Peter Gabriel who then introduced him to Western world. Capturing world wide audience with his rhythmic and ecstatic singing, NFAK performed live extensively through the U.S. and Europe. Featured by both Time and Newsweek magazines, he also contributed to Hollywood movies. He has done several soundtracks, including “the Last Temptation of Christ” (this disc become one of the Stereophile magazines’s Records to Die for list), “Dead Man Walking” and “Natural Born Killers”. Listening and watching him live at Berkeley in 1996 was the greatest musical experience of my life. When he performed live in the Central Park of New York, New Times reported that every single soul listening to him, including the cops and security guards, were dancing. He also taught his art at the University of Washington at Seattle, who gave him an honorary doctoral degree.

Build like a Budhah, NFAK would sit with legs criss-crossed and perform with his party of eight or ten men using Tabla (small drums) and Harmonium (something like an Accordian).

Enough of the introduction………..here is my list of recommendations of NFAK’s music (I have more 40 CDs by him) for Apogee speaker owners, and others.

1. Bandit Queen, soundtrack.
1994 Oriental Start Agencies, Ltd. BMG (7 3138 35766-2)
This disk is not a Qawwali music disk but musically and sonically a gem. It is the soundtrack of the Indian movie “Badit Queen”. The soundtrack is a clear example of Pakistan and Indian cooperation (they should do more instead of fighting). Musically, it is capturing music using a varieties of melodies and instruments such as drums, bells, and violins. Sonically, it is a true audiophile heaven. With a huge soundstage that will envelope you and with pin-pointed imaging of musical instruments, Nusrat’s voice echoes in full glory, sometime sounding like an angel and sometimes like a demon. The bass is earth shaking and some effects (like the sound of the river and a boat sailing through the water, which makes you feel that your feet will get wet) are very impressive. By the way, the movie is also good (it is in English).

2. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Shahbaz, Real World Music, 1991, (0 1704 62315-2), musically excellent with true Qawwali and NFAK at his very best. Sonically, it is good quality but not excellent.
3. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khn, Traditional Sufi Qawwalis, vol. II, Live in London.
I love the first track. It starts slowly but within minutes you will experience the power of NFAK. Slowly it will get into full rhythm with some very artistic classical parts in which NFAK sings tradition Rags (melodies). Sonically, it is excellent in which NFAK will be live on Apogee speakers. (7 604520 016263)
4. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, En Concert a Paris in 1985, Ocora, Paris, 1997. Again a masterpiece. I love the last two tracks. Very mush of audiophile quality. (3 149025 003997)
5. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Day, The Night, The Dawn, The Dusk, Shanchie 64032 ((16351 64322 3).
6. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Last Prophet, Real World, 1994, (24383 94682).

These disc are indeed available at big record stores throughout the US and many other parts of the world.

Enjoy.

Cheers