Explain the asthetics of Punk

Here's a fascinating essay describing the Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco's Winterland, January 1978:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/the-sex-pistols-concert/3054-7788.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090616
As an old fashioned "peace-love/classic rock" lover, this episode of music completely eludes me. Didn't The Who catch the same vibe but with a lot more musical skill and integrity? Nonetheless, the essay gives a good snap shot surrounding the Sex Pistols and a glimpse into the punk musical phenomenom. If punk had been a satire, it'd be hailed a triumphant post-modern concept piece. The fact it is "real" is even more amazing to me. Excuse me, I have to put on a Judy Collins records to feel "clean again". LOL.
jwong
I don't remember who first said it, but some wise man (and wiseacre) once observed that punk music had to come along to remind us all that rock 'n' roll isn't supposed to sound like Fleetwood Mac. I couldn't imagine saing it any better.
The only way to explain this aesthetic is to go back to the source (which is NOT The Who). It is, without a doubt, The Velvet Underground. Listen to the first 3 albums and you tell me.
I think that Chashmal could be onto something here. There is a little of the punk in the early Velvet Underground. But Rock and Roll was first the sound of a rebel cause. It was perhaps a little softer at the start. People were going away from the fifties and into the sixties where it was the time and place of peace love and understanding. Folks we were in the middle of a undeclared war. Remember Nam. The Sex Pistols and the punk groups perhaps remind us that the world is not a very pretty place at times. And there are changes that still need to be made

A few years back I went to Israel for work. As the van I was in was driving up to the gate of a company I noticed the gate guard was holding a machine gun. Sorry you are not in Kansas. I have seen this elsewhere along with poverty that you cannot imagine.

It is not a nice place out there. The US is a very insulated place.