Explain the asthetics of Punk

Here's a fascinating essay describing the Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco's Winterland, January 1978:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/the-sex-pistols-concert/3054-7788.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090616
As an old fashioned "peace-love/classic rock" lover, this episode of music completely eludes me. Didn't The Who catch the same vibe but with a lot more musical skill and integrity? Nonetheless, the essay gives a good snap shot surrounding the Sex Pistols and a glimpse into the punk musical phenomenom. If punk had been a satire, it'd be hailed a triumphant post-modern concept piece. The fact it is "real" is even more amazing to me. Excuse me, I have to put on a Judy Collins records to feel "clean again". LOL.
jwong
First off, The Ramones predate The Sex Pistols by a couple of years and actually deserve more credit. And The Stooges should get as much credit as The Velvet Underground.

Secondly, look at the state of "Rock & Roll" from 1976-82. It was a bloated, self-indulgent, parody of itself for the most part. It was so polished and formulaic that there was very little real feeling left(think Boston). The best years of the "peace-love/classic rock" era were long behind. Punk actually saved Rock from itself.

Punk, or at least, the early years of it, was the antithesis of that. It was raw and visceral. And much of it was at least earnest in it's intent, even if it was technically primitive.

There's a great scene in The Who documentary where Pete Townshend recounts running into the the Sex Pistols' Steve Jones and Paul Cook at London's Speakeasy club and in his ridiculously drunken stupor beseeches them to just finish the job killing Rock & Roll - finish him off, kill him. A pretty pathetic scene.

Which is ironic because the Classic Rock Gods like Townshend were the ones killing Rock at that point. They really weren't trying anymore and were too busy indulging themselves in wealth and excess.

But, here's the greater irony. Townshend stumbled out of the club and passed out in SoHo doorway only to be awakened by a police officer who recognized him and told him he could "go sleep at home tonight if he could get up and walk away"...That run-in with Jones & Cook, in some ways, inspired him to write "Who Are You"(or so legend has it). Arguably, their last great album. It was truly the end of The Who's era.

Much like Nirvana wiped the charts of the 90's "hair" bands, Punk put most of the classic rock bands out to pasture. They were headed that way on their own, punk just sped up the process.
06-16-09: Stanwal
Is this a shortest book in the world contest?

I don't like punk but read every posts here with great interest. These are groups with which I have little or no experience (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys). Frankly, I'm grateful for any music discussion where I learn something.
I always looked at punk as more of an ideology then a musical movment. We gave the sound of this music the name punk, but I would consider bob dylan punk, early public enemy punk, nirvana, Holden Caulfield, Jack Kerouac. As Grimace says, F U. it's FU to the mass, it's fu to all the fluff and crap that is just accepted as normal and ok. it's frustration and rebellion. I think punk is more in the words then the music, and I think people are drawn to it's honesty.