Explain the asthetics of Punk

Here's a fascinating essay describing the Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco's Winterland, January 1978:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/the-sex-pistols-concert/3054-7788.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090616
As an old fashioned "peace-love/classic rock" lover, this episode of music completely eludes me. Didn't The Who catch the same vibe but with a lot more musical skill and integrity? Nonetheless, the essay gives a good snap shot surrounding the Sex Pistols and a glimpse into the punk musical phenomenom. If punk had been a satire, it'd be hailed a triumphant post-modern concept piece. The fact it is "real" is even more amazing to me. Excuse me, I have to put on a Judy Collins records to feel "clean again". LOL.
jwong
I always looked at punk as more of an ideology then a musical movment. We gave the sound of this music the name punk, but I would consider bob dylan punk, early public enemy punk, nirvana, Holden Caulfield, Jack Kerouac. As Grimace says, F U. it's FU to the mass, it's fu to all the fluff and crap that is just accepted as normal and ok. it's frustration and rebellion. I think punk is more in the words then the music, and I think people are drawn to it's honesty.
Hanaleimike said it pretty well... insofar as the ideology, artistic expression is concerned. That was definitely one aspect of it and was the appeal for some/most (?). I would add to his list, eminem. It was simple, honest music/self expression.

You either were one of the tribe and understood it or you didn't. No one really cared what you thought of it.

For me, the genre of music I listened to first was punk, or more precisely American hardcore. I never paid much attention to the lyrics, or political statements and didn't care much about being anti-establishment or anything like that. It was just about the way the music made you feel.

Most of it was absolutely terrible to listen to, but the good stuff was just pure unadulterated aggressive sonic energy. It made you want to slam down your beer, enter the mosh pit, dive off the stage, jump off a 30 foot cliff on your snowboard, slide down a 10 stair hand rail on your skateboard. Perfect compliment to a 14-21 year old male lifestyle.

The hardcore bands out of Washington DC and suburbia USA/Canada exemplified this sound:

- Bad Brains "Banned in DC" (the best punk/hardcore band in my books..great reggae as well)

- Black Flag
- Circle Jerks
- Bad Religion
- Misfits
- Minor Threat, DOA, SNFU, Agnostic Front, Pennywise.

Not exactly punk, but Metallica was also capable of serving up heavy doses of adrenaline with their music (listen to Justice for All).

There is a documentary called "American Hardcore" that attempts to explain the appeal and history of punk rock. It's at least good for a laugh.

A better one is "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey".

I rarely listen to this stuff now, but wouldn't trade the loss of hearing, scars for anything.
Nonconformist teenage angst, pushing the envelope further away from convention. Just part of the evolution of Rock. Punk doesn't even sound so punkish anymore!
I think that it's fair to say that Punk was an angry attempt to reverse the increasingly "corporate" or commercial character that began to dominate rock music after the '60's, when business realized that there was real gold in them thar hills.

Marty

PS - Jaybo & Hodu, Sebastian's point re: Fleetwood Mac is taken. For the record (pardon the pun), cue up "Come" from Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will". None of the punk bands mentioned here has (to my knowledge) recorded anything with the seething anger and crazed intensity of that track. Lindsey Buckingham is absolutely deranged - and I say that with the greatest respect and admiration. I also think that he doesn't like Stevie Nicks very much.