Explain the asthetics of Punk

Here's a fascinating essay describing the Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco's Winterland, January 1978:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/the-sex-pistols-concert/3054-7788.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090616
As an old fashioned "peace-love/classic rock" lover, this episode of music completely eludes me. Didn't The Who catch the same vibe but with a lot more musical skill and integrity? Nonetheless, the essay gives a good snap shot surrounding the Sex Pistols and a glimpse into the punk musical phenomenom. If punk had been a satire, it'd be hailed a triumphant post-modern concept piece. The fact it is "real" is even more amazing to me. Excuse me, I have to put on a Judy Collins records to feel "clean again". LOL.
jwong
Punk was not an 'asthetic', it was an attitude. An essential punk primer is the Ramones documentary "End of the Century".
I too was into Punk music in my college years and did a lot of reading after the movement died down in the mid to late 80's before bands like Nirvana started to show a strong punk influence in the early 90's.

The typical historical time line that you read about started in the 60's with bands like the Velvet Underground however it was the Detroit area bands that are even more influencial like Iggy Pop who is considered the Godfather of punk and the MC5. Then the New York scene popped up with the very important Ramones (high energy, simple 3 cord progressions). The Ramone then were suppose to have played in England and sparked bands like the Pistols, Clash, The Damned, etc. Soon after the Hard Core scene popped up around the country, first in LA (Black Flag, Minutemen, Circle Jerks, Germs), and then in San Francisco (Dead Kennedys, Fear) and my favorite, DC with Minor Threat. Of course there were bands all around the country and in Canada. I was lucky to have seen many of them.

This was all very underground at the time but at some point punk went commerical with bands like Green Day, the Offspring, etc. Good bands but a big part of the punk movement was the underground nature of it.

Of course years have gone by and my tastes are much more tame now, but it was a fun time then. Sorry to ramble on, just an interesting topic.
Jaybo, The Clash album to start with is "Give 'Em Enough Rope", still my favorite.
As always Audiogoners are a smart bunch. I guess I understand the "spirit" of punk more than its specific artists. Nonethless, I recognize how horribly indulgent much of my favorite "classic rock" artists became as the business model of corporations took over popular music and commodified the music and related markets (concerts, audio equipment, etc...)

Unfortunately, that business model hasn't changed much so hearing truly original or authentic music is hard even in this tech-media heavy age. The fact that Adam Lambert of American Idol is considered a hot new talent is a joke as he epitomizes how much "show biz" has captured "rock" (sic).

Hmmm, maybe I understand the need for punk more than I let on.

Rock on...