Explain the asthetics of Punk

Here's a fascinating essay describing the Sex Pistols performance at San Francisco's Winterland, January 1978:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/the-sex-pistols-concert/3054-7788.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090616
As an old fashioned "peace-love/classic rock" lover, this episode of music completely eludes me. Didn't The Who catch the same vibe but with a lot more musical skill and integrity? Nonetheless, the essay gives a good snap shot surrounding the Sex Pistols and a glimpse into the punk musical phenomenom. If punk had been a satire, it'd be hailed a triumphant post-modern concept piece. The fact it is "real" is even more amazing to me. Excuse me, I have to put on a Judy Collins records to feel "clean again". LOL.
jwong
Marty,

The loudest show by far that I remember seeing was the Butthole Surfers, I think it was on the Hairway to Steven tour.
A great documentary which touches on this subject is "Filth and the Fury" (this has to be the greatest name for a documentary ever) which relates the socio-economic situation in England that gives rise to the Sex Pistols.
Penelope Spheeris' 1980 documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization" is probably the best film made on punk music(specifically Southern California punk). It's authentic because it was made right at the height of the scene and features interviews with all the characters that made up scene - from musicians to journalists to club security guards.

Add to that, The Ramones "End of the Century" documentary.