the greatest pop song ever?

apropos of absolutely nothing, i just listened to the song "five o clock world" by the vogues for the first time in perhaps 20 years. i heard it on a really good lexus (levinson) sound system and have concluded that it's arguably the greatest pop production ever--the damn thing's incredible. in the space of a quick two minutes you get 12 string guitar, marimba, horns, incredible drumming and a really wild honky-tonk piano, all on top of those weird doowop harmonies. add to the mix a really tight melody and sorta meaningful lyrics and you have something that makes phil spector look unambitious and timid.

also from left field, i've been touting a song called "i can see you" by someone or something called june and the exit wounds as the single most beautiful tune ever written. as far as i know, it's only been released on a sampler by parasol records (an indy label out of urban il). this song sounds like some lost brian wilson masterpiece and is well worth finding for those in search of audio nirvana.
loomisjohnson
"Five O'Clock World" is a great song that got a second life as the theme song for Drew Carey's sitcom. Loved it before that, loved it even more afterwards.

For me, "Would't It Be Nice" can't quite match "Good Vibrations". Talk about production values! Theremin anyone? Or, in the immortal words of Dewey Cox in "Walk Hard" - More Digideroo! I need fifty Digideroos!

On the beautiful side of the contest, if picking from the Brian Wilson songbook, I'd personally opt for "God Only Knows". Maybe even if I'm picking from everyone's songbook.

The Rolling Stone list looks more RnR than pop to me, so:

That said:

Perfect Pop Song - "Crybaby" by Todd Rundgren/Utopia. The mother of all vocal harmonies and an irresistable melody. Although Nick Lowe's "Cruel To Be Kind" is awfully perfect.

Most beautiful tune:

Gotta think about "Moon River", "Maria" (West Side Story) and "Beeswing" by Richard Thompson to cover some ground.
Maybe "The Wrong Girl" by The Showmen (General Johnson). There are a bunch of painfully beautiful Doo Wop melodies to choose from, as well.

I guess that's more than one.

Marty
well, if we're debating best beach boys, i'd submit "surf's up", with "in my room" a close second. if we braqoden the category, i believe dylan called "tracks of my tears" the prettiest song in the english language, while robert christgau cited "waterloo sunset".hard to argue with either.
Hey Martykl-not too many people know about Norman Johnson and the showman--"It will stand " best of their pure rock and roll hits --I grew up with them --going to their shows in hs and college --great group--Rich
Greatest pop song?

For me, old f***that I am, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

Pop from the Beach Boys?
"Let's Go Away For Awhile".
"Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard, hands down. Also: runner up: "Private Idaho" by the B-52s. IMHO.