Alex Chilton RIP

Unexpectedly of an apparent heart attack at age 59, in the influential rock cult-hero's adopted hometown of New Orleans. The Memphis-bred singer/guitarist/songwriter, teenage leader of pop hitmakers the Box Tops in the late 60's and underground-legend "power pop/alternative" progenitors Big Star in the early 70's prior to his sporadic solo career, was to have played with the revamped Big Star lineup at SXSW in Austin this Saturday.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/mar/17/memphis-musician-alex-chilton-dies/
zaikesman
Tfk: Of his era maybe, but only because of something that's always struck me as kind of ironic, since Chilton did gain a degree of early fame as singer of the Box Tops' big hits, before doing the more obscure work with Big Star that wound up having a much greater lasting influence. And to this day those Box Tops numbers still don't even sound like him singing -- he sounded more a like teenager in his later career than he did on the deep-voiced material with which he made his name as a 17 year old phenom. His path was kind of reversed in those aspects.

I'd also like to mention Alex's credit as producer of The Cramps debut EP and LP in the late 70's, which not only remain that seminal underground group's most enduring body of work, but were -- never mind the revisionists and deniers who probably all love Big Star and claim to love punk -- equally infuential as anything else Alex did. Lux and Ivy implicitly championed him on the nascent IRS label before REM, the Bangles and the Replacements later came along.
I saw him in the late 80s and he tore it up. He started the show with Pinball Wizard at about 2X normal speed and continued to impress.

RIP and thanks for the memory Alex...
really excellent post, zaikesman--i'd forgotten about the cramps. truthfully, i never thought much of his post bs work, most of which sounded half-baked or acid-fried, and the boxtops weren't much more than a studio concoction with three or so great songs. but those three big star albums effectively invented a whole genre--without them, it's inconceivable that some of the greatest song bands of our generations (posiesteenagefanclubgametheoryrem) would exist.

so while we're eulogizing, let me extol the virtues of chilton's late great bs partner, chris bell, whose "i am the cosmos" is every bit as noteworthy as the big star records. this would be a good occassion for the unitiated to rush out and buy it.
LJ -- Agree about Chris Bell, and I do dig some of AC's solo stuff including "Like Flies On Sherbet" and "Bach's Bottom". Not for everybody I suppose, but if you can get with inspired shambling then there's nothing quite like it (most who shamble aren't nearly as inspired, or inspiring). As for the list of acts AC is oft said to have influenced, and that whole 80's "college rock" thing in general (Replacements excepted, who were "only" rock'n'roll in the best Stonsian sense of the word), I'll take the real deal way above the lot of 'em.
"Children by the millions scream for Alex Chilton and he come's running"

-- he was very worthy of having his own song

RIP
More to discover