Jazz from 1957 to 1967 was the most definitive.

I believe that after that decade, the term "Jazz" lost it's definition. I also believe this decade produced the very best Jazz ever. I would like to limit the discussion to this decade in Jazz, or related Jazz.
My system consists of Rega, Marantz cd, Audible Illusions, Primaluna 6, and custom speakers.
orpheus10
Jazz struggled with rock taking over in the 1960s. Then jazz tried to compete with rock and we got jazz fusion, but there was still alot of great jazz.

Hopefully the current jazz resurgence will last.
Aldavis, I just saw Orpheus10's statement about Bird.

Orpheus10 what did you think of the the Horace Silver clip?
Foster_9, Horace Silver has been one of my favorites since "Senior Blues" on LP "Six Pieces of Silver"; however, I am not sure of what you are referring to?
Orpheus10, you'll find the Horace Silver clip in my post from 03-25-10.

It begins with, "Orpheus10 have you seen this?" just click on Senor Blues

Also in case you missed my other post from 03-25, be sure to check it out. It references the fantastic "The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Sessions."
To add to Elizabeth's last post: when trying to introduce someone to Jazz, I generally try to be cognizant of the fact that a person either "gets" Jazz or they don't. There's really no in-between. So, I find that all you can really do is expose a person to some good recordings and let the rest run its course. In the Ken Burns series, Wynton summed it up pretty good when he said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Jazz doesn't come to you, you have to go to it." In a world where everyone wants convenience and instant gratification, not many people are willing to invest the time and "go to it." Just my 2ยข