Jazz from 1957 to 1967 was the most definitive.

I believe that after that decade, the term "Jazz" lost it's definition. I also believe this decade produced the very best Jazz ever. I would like to limit the discussion to this decade in Jazz, or related Jazz.
My system consists of Rega, Marantz cd, Audible Illusions, Primaluna 6, and custom speakers.
orpheus10
To add to Elizabeth's last post: when trying to introduce someone to Jazz, I generally try to be cognizant of the fact that a person either "gets" Jazz or they don't. There's really no in-between. So, I find that all you can really do is expose a person to some good recordings and let the rest run its course. In the Ken Burns series, Wynton summed it up pretty good when he said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Jazz doesn't come to you, you have to go to it." In a world where everyone wants convenience and instant gratification, not many people are willing to invest the time and "go to it." Just my 2ยข
Foster_9, it is amazing how "Sympatico" we are, and I would also like to mention how other types of music have come and gone, but "Hard Bop" is still boss.
Orph,

Your preferences are particular and probably well served by the time period you identify.

My preferences run more to the two decades prior, where purely beautiful sax playing was more often the main point and rythmic complexity was still (mostly) of secondary importance. Think "Body and Soul" and that ilk.

For the most part, hard bop isn't my preffered cup of tea (even though I still do consume a fair bit of it), but the hybridized music it influenced is among my absolute favorite. I don't think Duke Ellington does Far East Suite without the influences you favor - and the world without FES is a poorer place.

In short, I run hot and cold on (what I believe are) your favorites, but many of my favorites emerged during this period as well. If forced, I'd still probably choose a decade or two earlier. But this really is a "you like chocolate I like vanilla" kind of thing.

Marty
I hate to be "misunderstood", and that is exactly what is occurring here.
There was good Jazz before 1957, there was good Jazz after 1967, there will be good Jazz after today. If you can imagine a "Parabola", keep that shape in your mind. Imagine "Jazz" moving in a horizontal time line ascending in 1957 and then descending in 1967; this is "explicitly" what I am saying.
Orpheus10, FWIW, if your so inclined.....There is an interesting discussion on Music Lane in the AudioAsylum site which is talking about HardBop, BeBob, Miles Davis/Kind of Blue and some other aspects of music in general as well. Some of the contributors appear to have something to say that you might appreciate.