Contemporary composers. Please help.

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any help with contemporary (20-21st century) classical music. At this point my favorites are:
Alfred Shnittke, Arvo Part, Steve Reich.
Glass, Adams, Xenakis are not in that heavy rotation.
Tried Shoenberg and Stockhousen, so far they are beyond my understanding.

Thank you,
Sergey.
lsd13
I'll 2nd Bartok, Stravinsky, and Shostakovich, & add Elliott Carter & Messian. Britten, Ralph Vaughan Williams, & Copeland tend to be very "accessible", serious, but you don't have to wear a Hair Shirt to listen to them.

You HAVE to have Bartok's "Music for Strings Percussion & Celesta", & "Concerto for Orchestra". The Shostakovich String Qts., & the 24 Preludes & Fugues, are gorgeous. Pick almost any Stravinsky work, I suppose the Rite of Spring is a good place to start, it caused a riot when premiered in 1917 I think.

I left out Debussy & Ravel, but you should know them too.....very "pretty", French. And Listening to Charles Ives will put hair on your chest....
To elaborate on Bartok, to me, his string quartets are among the greatest works in that genre. Other 20th century string quartets to get are those of Shostakovich, the huge number of Villa Lobos quartets (some of the most overlooked works), and the quartets of Alwyn.

For choral works, there is a hybrid SACD/CD on the Chandos label, titled "Eternal Rest," that has terrific works by Mantyjarvi, Tichelli, Frank Martin, and Rene Clausen (all 20th century composers).
For something new to the list I would add Hindemith specifically his Symphony in E flat conducted by Bernstein
and two Ballet suites The Four Temperaments and Nobilissima Visione

Charles Ives's symphonies 1-3 with Bernstein if possible

Khachaturian's Spartacus and Gayaneh conducted by Khachaturian with the Vienna Philharmonic
Given the OPs listed favorites, I'd suggest Peteris Vasks, Kalevi Aho, and Aullis Sallinen. I also second the recommendation of The Ligeti Project Vol. II on Teldec.

Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht and Gurrelieder are late Romantic works, which may or may not be to your taste. I would however urge you to hear the Chamber Symphonies.

I hope the thread does not get off topic, with every composer who lived into the 20th Century being recommended.
Poulenc, Del Tredici (Final Alice), Bernstein, Prokofiev, Elgar, Sibelius, Menotti. . . among others previous mentioned.