I know this has probably been discussed...

But I can't seem to find the answer to this question:

If most if not all recordings are done digitally now, doesn't that defeat the purpose of vinyl?

If someone could point me to the thread/s on this subject I'd be most grateful.
helmuthed
The bottleneck is most likely redbook CD format, not digital in general.

Digital masters can be very high resolution and very good quality these days, I believe. Those that get transferred to vinyl may not be affected by the same limitations as CD redbook versions.

This is a weird reason - Even the mass-marketed digital LPs will probably outlast their CD counterparts.
To thrash me, use your imagination. Draw (preferably with crayons) a picture of what you imagine I look like. Then put it up on a wall. shoot darts, water ballons, bullets (it's YOUR wall) smear it with evil unmentionable stuff. Use a high voltage transformer and zap the picture with 20,000 volts. put in in a plastic zip-lock and suffocate my picture, cut it up while laughing an evil laugh.
I am certain folks can think of all sorts of nasty things to do.
Then later you can feel guilty over what you have done.
Good luck.
Try the new John Mellencamp CD. Recorded in mono, on an old Ampex reel-to-reel, in historic venues with everyone standing around the same mike, and no mixing or dubs afterwards. Thirteen songs written in thirteen days. Kind of upside down and backwards from the question but new stuff like this gives me more reason to keep listening-as if I need more motivation-not!
Elizabeth, how 'bout I bring it over to your house so I can hear it on your fine system? I know you have some cool stuff, too.
Elizabeth, I don't know about my imagination but yours appears to be quite wild and developed. I doubt that you need to actually listen to music - you could have it in your head directly. I have no bad words for you.