I know this has probably been discussed...

But I can't seem to find the answer to this question:

If most if not all recordings are done digitally now, doesn't that defeat the purpose of vinyl?

If someone could point me to the thread/s on this subject I'd be most grateful.
helmuthed
Elizabeth, I don't know about my imagination but yours appears to be quite wild and developed. I doubt that you need to actually listen to music - you could have it in your head directly. I have no bad words for you.
I agree with Elizabeth. Not about thrashing her, but that for teh most part teh technical difference, though they certainly exist do not really matter much.

The purpose of having a hifi is to listen to music.

Just do it.

If it doesn't sound good, then fix what you can or stop listening and get another hobby.

You can't change how someone else produced a recording forget about that. If you don't lke a particualr one, don't listen again. If you do, then buy 10 different master versions and enjoy them all.
Elizabeth, I agree totally with you. Most of my over 1000 LP collection was mastered before the digital stuff but I have some that were digitally mastered. If it sounds good, lose the snob appeal of only a pure analog mastering will do, I say! And just so you know, I just burned you in e ffigy, not due to any bad feeling or disagreement, but just cuz it was fun! LOL
Aren't some new recordings done on analog tape or has everything gone digital?
As a side note it was refreshing to hear Dan D'Agostino acknowledge during a recent web interview that vinyl yields far greater bandwith than digital. Vinyl lives!

http://twit.tv/htg

"I came up in Kansas City when the joints were runnin' full blast from 9pm to 5 am. Usual pay was $1.25 a night, although somebody special like Count Basie could command $1.50." - Charlie Parker