Suggestion for Brahms

Any suggestion for Brahms that are well recorded and good performances? I like the two piano concertos especially. LP and digital.

Thank you
128x128glai
I would agree with those who suggest that the best performances on LP are not necessarily the ones with the best sonics. For instance, a great many orchestral musicians will tell you that one of the definitive performances of the four symphonies is the old Szell/Cleveland set, released on CBS Great Performances, which are not exactly known for their sonics. But those performances are superb.
I don't agree that you have to put sonics aside for good Brahms. Some of the great Brahms recordings were made in the "Golden Age". (If you need multi-channel recordings or freak out at the merest hint of tape hiss, this might not be the case.)

A case in point is Bruno Walter's last Brahms Symphony cycle. These have always sounded good.
I agree wholeheartedly with Daverz' praise for the Brahms Symphonies conducted by Bruno Walter with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra. I did not mention them in the entire set versions above because, as far as I know, they are not available in the same single package cd format as the Klemperer, Solti and Rattle compilations. Notwithstanding, I much prefer lp vinyl, and enjoy immensely the Walter and Klemperer sets/performances in that format. Incidentally, in any recommendations I ever make, my top consideration reflects interpretation(though I realize its personal or subjective nature). I make exceptions to that "rule" only if I consider the recorded sound to be irritating(usually, too bright or strident).
My enthusiastic recommendations:

Symphony no. 4 by Kent Nagano/Deutches Sym. Orchester Berlin on Harmonia Mundi: the most beautiful performance of this piece I have heard. Not a no-holds-barred performance like C. Kleiber's, but just gorgeous. Very good sound.

2nd Piano Concerto by Marc Hamelin/Litton/Dallas on Hyperion. Not as exciting as Stephen Hough (below), but beautiful,lyrical playing by Hamelin. SACD

1st and 2nd Piano Concertos by Stephen Hough/Andrew Davis/BBC Orch. on Virgin. A mid-priced CD with wonderful performances, very exiting. Good if not great sound.

Serenade no. 1 and Haydn Variations by Vernon Handley/Ulster Orch. on Chandos. My favorite performances of both works. Good, if distant back-of-the-hall Chandos sound.

And now some chamber stuff (which is main reason I love Brahms):

Piano Trios 1 and 2 by Storioni Trio on Pentatone. SACD
Beautiful playing/sound. Less intense than the Fontenay.

Piano Quintet by Prazak Qt./Ivan Klansky on Praga SACD. Would be hard to find better performances and impossible to find better sound ;-)

Clarinet Quintet by Pascal Moragues/Prazak Qt. SACD. Ditto above.

String Sextets 1 and 2:
a) by the Acadamy of St. Martin-Outstanding-in His -Field Ensemble on Chandos. Not exciting/intense as b) below, but beautiful,beautiful. Very good 1990's rbcd sound.
b) by Raphael Ensemble on Hyperion. More exiting/less beautiful playing than a). Sound is good, but not as good as a).
Note: all SACD's listed above are hybrid, so you don't need an SACD player for them. The rbcd layer on them sounds terrific.
-----------------------------
I'm still looking for excellent performances of the Piano Quartets in real good sound. I'm close to pulling the trigger on Hamelin, et. al. on Hyperion. Anybody heard those?

Steve O.