Prog Rock

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/299126/different-kind-progressive-bradley-j-birzer

Attached is an article about the state of current progressive rock by a History professor at Hillsdale College. He highly recommends a band called Big Big Train. I listened to the samples on CDbaby and think it sounds like old Genesis. As a fan of old Yes, ELP, Renaissance, Todd Rundgren's Utopia,Marillion, Kansas, etc, are there any worthwhile prog bands to pursue in 2012? Keep in mind in this genre, I am looking for originality, musicianship, and a big vision. Speed and mindless repetition do not impress. I want to be able to enjoy my system, drink a little wine, and think.
maxnewid
by far the best of the current lot IMO is Porcupine Tree. I also like Chroma Key, Gordion Knot, and OSI (Office of Strategic Inlfuence) which is a collaboration between the Chroma Key and Gordion Knot players. These bands are all very original - and great musicians. Gordion Know has Steve Hacket, Bill Bruford sitting in on some cuts.
100% agree with bdgregory on porcupine tree--it's prog for people who don't like the wankery and excesses of prog. the main guy, steven wilson, also puts out albums in his own name which are very good.
Methinks you need to sign in and hang out at

www.progressiveears.com

The best "newer" bands that I have found and enjoy are:
- Porcupine Tree (and Steve Wilson's solo projects)
- RPWL
- Anathema
- Moth Vellum
- Mars Hollow
- Big Big Train
- Brother Ape
- Izz
- Transatlantic
- Karmakanic
- Haken
- Sylvan
- Magic Pie
- Riverside
- Beardfish
- The Pineapple Thief
- Frogg Cafe
- District 97
- Oblivion Sun
- Phideaux
- Wobbler

Enjoy,
Bob
IF you like classic Renaissance, you might also give "Blackmore's Night" a listen. I'd start with their "Shadow of the Moon" album.

And yes the guitar player is THAT Blackmore and the vocalist is his steamy and talented wife Candice Night who's vocals strongly resemble those of Annie Haslam in her prime. There is even a very nice cover of the old Renaissance tune "Ocean Gypsy" on that album.

A lot of prog fans are anxiously awaiting the new "Squackett" album by Steve Hackett and Chris Squire that is scheduled to be released this summer.