What is the best sounding Mahler symphony cycle?

Folks... I love Mahler but my two versions of the 5th sound very low-fi. I am looking for a well --- really well --- recorded 5th on redbook CD --- or better still... a whole mahler symphony cycle that is audiophile (or... near audiophile quality.

Any help would be appreciated
robsker
Yu11375 wrote:
Best sounding Mahler cycle? It is a question very difficult
to answer.

I would put none of the ones you mention in the category of "best sounding" although they each have their felicities with regard to performance.
Brownsfan and I really like our classical; just want to clarify one thing. The Bernstein box set is a technical achievement in remastering, but not audiofile. But the old style of mic'ing and mixing the orch and great sonics makes it more pleasurable to listen to than many modern recordings.
The Lenny/VPO is early digital with terrific sound. The soundstage is very open with lots of detail. I say both are worthwhile.
Wow! I don't know the comment can be this definite ("....none of the ones....") and critical in this forum. For a person posted more than 1850 answers in all categories, the person must be extremely knowledgeable.

Please discard my naive suggestion.

But it is nice to see Newbee and Brownsfan are here.

Let me retire from this conversation. Excuse me!
Robsker, I didn't realize you wanted reco's on Mahler #1. There are a lot of excellent #1's, in fact I think it is one of the easier to perform, record, and listen to. But, that said, if you haven't already pulled the plug on this, do consider Zander's #1 on Telarc, and not just because of it's recording but because of it's disc mate Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen sung by Christopher Maltman, a fine performance of one of Mahler's orchestral lieder.

While I'm sure there are quite a few recordings of either piece that folks might prefer, none will be found together on CD that I am aware of, and to my ear both pieces fit together as if there were meant to be heard as recorded here. It gets a lot of play time at my home.

And, if you are late to come to Mahler's lieder, its is a great piece and recording to start out with.
Newbee, thanks for opening the door on the Lieder! My hands down favorite is the Bis recording (Malkki& Karneus) of Kindertotenlieder, RuckkertLieder, and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen. Oh my, I do love this recording!