Acoustic TReatments - What, How much, & Where?

Hello all you room treatmentfiles.

Being at the point where I probably should have begun, now, I want to 'treat' the room, acoustically. Economic reasons say I might have to go by way of ‘foam’ stick ups on the wall, but I’d really rather not. The desired alternative, however, is panels, and they are mighty pricey. OK.

Reading over the online info at various panel makers websites, (ASC, RPG, GIK, etc), some panels have different ranges of absorbtion, reflection, etc. according to the makers.

Q: How do you know just the amount of absorbtion, or diffusion to incorporate into the room via panels, traps, etc.?

Is there some Rosetta stone that will decrypt this for me… or is it all “trial & ear-ror”?

GIK panels seem the most feasible cost alternative, presently.

Any suggestions or related experiences in regard to sources for, or treatments of, will be more than a welcome thing.

Thank you
blindjim
Hi guys,

I thought I might share my experience with my imbalanced room. Hope this might help give some ideas.

My listening room is the standard L-shaped room. Early on I experimented with several setups, playing across the long wall of the foot towards the top of L, playing diagonally across the foot of the L, and lastly playing from the toe of the L towards the heel. Both room aesthetics and best sound response led me to staying with the later arrangement. This left the problem of having the right speaker "see" a side wall and the left speaker "see" a large open space. The effect of this is much as Newbee described. The image was pulled to the right and the only way I could balance the sound level from each speaker was to pull the left speaker much closer toward the listening position.

I'll fast forward to keep this short. What I have found to work very well for me was to use absorbtion along the right hand wall in an attempt to make the right hand speaker "see" little or no reflective surface. As a result, I have not had to use excessive toe-in or different placement of one speaker to the other. That's not to say that I don't still have other room issues to deal with, but the imbalance does not seem to be a problem.

One piece of advice I can offer is to avoid overdamping the room. It is easier to do than most people think. IMO, eliminating all slap echo can be detrimental. I also think, as Newbee posted, that alot can be done just by getting furnishings in first. I'm coming to the realization of this last point because I've stumbled into doing this last. The more upholstered chairs and things I've brought in the more this point is driven home.

Rives is correct that the DIY approach is full of trial and error, but it can also be fun and rewarding if you don't piss of your significant other in the process. I've tried DIY bass traps, DIY absorption and DIY room lenses. All have made an impact on the sound in my room and I do all three of these still, though the lenses tend to come and go. They do make a difference but I'm still accessing their effect since I've changed much of my system.

Best,

Dan
Newbee,

Nevermind - I don't think you grasped what I was trying to say. I mean how did you construe what I say to mean that there is "a definitive or only way of setting up speakers and there is only one possible end result"; frankly, I just can't see how my comments imply this. Anyway, I meant no offence....just my two cents thats all.
Shadorne, I thought I pointed out in my first paragraph what I thought was offensive in your post - your statement that you were going to clear up a "common misconception being perpetrated here", when in fact there was no 'common misconception' being perpetrated and all you really did was to say that in a perfectly symetrical set up the out of phase information appearing to the outside of the speakers did, in essense, not damage or effect the in phase information appearing between the speakers.

I didn't take offense, however I did want to make sure that folks reading all of these threads did not become confused by your statements and to what kinds of systems, and individual sonic goals, they might apply.

I would suggest however, as this has come up in other posts you have made, it is very helpful, and you'll draw far fewer flies, if the content of your post really matches the subject line of your post which you use to draw peoples attention.

FWIW. JMHO.
Newbee,
Thanks for all the advice. I see you speak for everyone or perhaps you took a poll ;-)
As the search continues for me, I ran across some items Ethan winer had drawn up about acoustics and DIY stuff. Probably as frankly put and simple as one could ask for... and some items from Sound on Sound magazine. Both point towards 'studio' applications, however I see much of the info applicable to residential use.

As freehand cutting, say with a skill saw, is just not a good idea for me, I'd like to ask if anyone has found or fabricated diffusers that work, without the need for slicing and dicing curved woods..... naturally, the more affordable the better.

And, has anyone found a resource that will allow one to buy the merchandise (room treatments), try them... and if not satisfied, return them... I'm having little luck there.... a couple have said they'll take back their 'standard' stuff.. Fine. As it should be. but there have been ony a couple. most say "it's your's."... no returns.

Psychicanimal
Thanks. A lot. I do appriciate the thoughts. though my issues are a bit different than what you may have gleaned from my posts... my room is rectangular. 13.5 x 19.75 with openings to either side, though not across from each other and the openings are several feet past the driver of the loudspeakers. I found some 'ratios' for room sizing using the height as the baseline... and given one of those ratios, (there are three), my room comes out as close to great as should be super for listening. the openings which are about to be closed off as sooon as I can decide on the doors to be used, will be of immense help. I'm sure. I have one other door in the room that needs reversing so as to lessen the 'pocket' it creates as is. it's at the first point of reflection of the right speaker. it'll still be there... but only an inch or so, two, at worst.

Newbee
I did read your posts as you mentioned previously. Funny, I was unable to find the threads doing the search thing... I had to look through the posts for each member to find it. it corresponds to much of what Ethan W. had written. Thanks.

have you found any items other than bookcases that can be used as diffusers behind the speakers? A friend says use the "Skyline" from RPG... Know of a suitable replacement with a smaller price tag?
many thanks.