Acoustic TReatments - What, How much, & Where?

Hello all you room treatmentfiles.

Being at the point where I probably should have begun, now, I want to 'treat' the room, acoustically. Economic reasons say I might have to go by way of ‘foam’ stick ups on the wall, but I’d really rather not. The desired alternative, however, is panels, and they are mighty pricey. OK.

Reading over the online info at various panel makers websites, (ASC, RPG, GIK, etc), some panels have different ranges of absorbtion, reflection, etc. according to the makers.

Q: How do you know just the amount of absorbtion, or diffusion to incorporate into the room via panels, traps, etc.?

Is there some Rosetta stone that will decrypt this for me… or is it all “trial & ear-ror”?

GIK panels seem the most feasible cost alternative, presently.

Any suggestions or related experiences in regard to sources for, or treatments of, will be more than a welcome thing.

Thank you
blindjim
Blindjim, Re diffusing materiels for use behind your speakers.

Assuming we are talking about high frequencies, and assuming that your talking about diffusing sounds directly radiating from the speakers, plants (live or artificial) can work well. I've used big Boston Ferns, medium sized dense palms, and weeping figs quite effectively for electrostats and boxes. Personally, I don't care for the 'audio room' look so many prefer, and even without book cases I would (and do) place strategically located wall mounted shelves with typical domestic garbage, books, CD's, Lp's, lamps/tables etc.

As Psychicanimal suggests, if you're crafty at all, it would be fairly simple to replicate the Skylines. All you need is some 1 1/2" square pine boards, a small table saw (easier to do cuts) some wood glue and clamps, paint, and patience. A friend of mine has done this several times very effectively. Your really don't have to be very scientific about it to get excellent results but it helps if you have the dimensional variations used in the Skylines. You could also do it with foam of some type as that could act as an absorber for the higher frequencies and diffusor for the lower (not LOW) frequencies, but I think foam would be tough to work with.

If you talking about a whole, or major part, of a back wall, because of bouncing reflections from other wall surfaces, I wouldn't go the dispersion route.

I'm sure its occurred to you already, but, FWIW, the further you can bring your speakers out into the room the less you need to be concerned with the need to diffuse or deaden the sound radiating directly from the speakers, and unless it is a hard surface such as glass, in the typical room after you hit the 6ft mark its probably of little consequence because there is sufficient time differential between the inital signal and the reflected sound (doesn't necessarily apply to bipoles, panels, or electrostats). I've heard speakers set up in front of an untreated glass that sounded excellent, with only one caveat to bear in mind. The other three walls had differing wall surfaces and were not uniformly reflective which eliminated 2d and 3d relect points so there were no strong high frequencies bouncing about the room.

Interesting stuff. Have fun, but don't get too anal - it will be very frustrating if you do! :-)
Wander around the acoustics forum as they have some good designs that are easy to make.

http://forums.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

Search "studiotips and "superchunk" on google & you'll pick up some useful hits.

This link is a mother load of info on the topic:

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Also you might go to the auralex site and send in a request for a room treatment design (it's free). You can get an idea how they'd treat your room...it'll be pretty much what one would expect after you read everything you've mentioned(ethan's white paper) & my links here. You'll treat the corners (all 4) for bass, then the first reflection points on the walls & ceiling...etc..
I second Newbee's last comments - furniture, plants, bookshelves, absoption behind the listening position, diffusers on side walls and moving speakers far away from rear wall and keeping listening position around 40% from the wall behind your listening position are all good suggestions (don't sit bang in the middle of the room).

I built a log fire place as an LF sound absorber/bass trap on the rear wall ....of course this is hardly as effective as the real thing (large GIK, Realtraps or other forms of large surface area thick panels) but aesthetically it is so much more acceptable.

Newbee
thanks again.... i do appreciate it. much. I ttend to agree with the non treated esthetics. though I don't mind adding something somewhere if indeed the end result is more than fair to middlin'. I've long since thought about the notion of using some ferns... trees... shrubs.. etc. though fake ones like the silk items are about the same money as the Echo busters & Skylines stuff. Whoa! I had no idea till recently. I will have a look about... the issue isn't the doing, it's the safety in doing it where details count. that's where I have a real challenge. it's been recommended more than once that I refrain from using power tools. i tend to ignore that portion much of the time.. especially if it's rough work. Fine stuff does cause me some problems. the 'eye's' do not, in fact, have it anymore.

Fishboat
Whoa! thanks a heap. I'll most certainly have a look about. thank you very much.

I couldn't do the graph thing, naturally, but I do have the area drawn up via a PC program I use a lot for all sorts of jobs (room arranger) super little gizmo... it's shareware.
So this weekend I'll fax it off to Auralexx. I spoke with them recently too. the idea of 'foaming' the room dosen't appeal to me terribly. Some however seems in order. Like the corners and ceilings.

Shadorne
I got the speakers about as far out into the room as I'd care to go right now. they can go more, but the drivers are off the wall, respectively, 47.5 and 32.5, from front and side walls. Roughly 7.5ft +/- apart. I have a "faux fireplace' directly in the middle of the speakers. had a big TV in there till last week. hung some heavy curtains over the gaping hole. Now it's a 40+ sq. ft. 'closet'. I do sit about right where you said to sit.. Not quite half ways back... equa distance from the speakers as they are apart. give or take a couple inches. Behind me is a wall of more drapes, a really long material covered couch... & that's it.

Picking out doors maybe this weekend.. to cover the three openings FP, LEFT HALL & RIGHT KITCHEN. So past the corners, most all of these 'treatments' will be on stands, unless i do the 'brick-a-brack' shelf here and there bit Newbee suggested. ...and nno, I'm gonna keep the false wall/frieplace for two reasons... I need the closet space, and it makes the room dimensions almsot spot on for a listening room. I may well add something to the back of the thin sheet rock of that wall to help things out a bit.
BJ,
I wouldn't go with the auralex foam either, but the drawing you'll get from auralex will give you an idea of room treatment placement. From that point you can address the areas any way that suits you. I'll be building my room treatments this winter...looks like a no brainer. I'll be going with the super chunk approach with rockwool or owens corning 703 or 705. Some panels also.