balanced power

Hi, could anyone explain to me in short what balanced power means? This is a term that is applied to isolation transformers. I'm using isolation transformers too (I live btw in The Netherlands) but I'm not using ground. Is that what "balanced" means: using a ground? What are the benefits and drawback of balanced power? Thank you in advance.

Chris
dazzdax
is this the same concept used in fully differentially balanced amps and pre amps?
Yes, American 240V is balanced.

Some equipment likes balanced power, some indifferent and very few are not compatible. For example, the SFL2 preamp was a completely different animal when fed balanced power, it loved it.

A simple isolation xformer won't do. You need a step-down with dual cores. Also need to derate the output by half. A 240/120 can be wired for balanced output if you put 120V in. I went one step further and used 240V.
Just an FYI... Blue Circle will custom make a balanced Music Ring to step-up or step-down voltages with the required plugs, etc.

I assume others companies will also ??? If you are a PS Audio fan, you could check with Paul McGowan.
Just noticed you're in Europe. Euro 220V is not balanced and 50Hz. Same principle to transform to 110+/110- (to ground) but I'm not sure what is availble over there. Balanced power does not have a neutral but a ground is still suggested. I also recommend a GFCI but not essential.
I'm sorry guys, despite your clear explanation I still don't understand how the concept of balanced power can be put into practice: is it always necessary to use a step down trannie with dual cores? So for balanced power a neutral conductor is not necessary? I don't understand it. This is apparently to difficult for me. I thought in the US mains voltage is 120V, so what does 240V to do with US mains voltage?