What made you select "audio" as your hobby

I've read many posts here on Audiogon as to the extremes many of you have gone in pursuing sound perfection.
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??
goldeneraguy
Back in 1976, which was one year out of high school for me, my stereo system consisted of Yamaha NS690 speakers-(anyone remember the Yamaha NS1000 speakers?), Yamaha receiver, and Dual 1229 turntable. My friends and I would dream of 10k systems and would listen to rock music almost every night. We bought alot of record albums back then. I was interested in listening to music, mostly rock music, since I was twelve. Back then, today's classic rock was just... rock. My friends and I saw alot of rock concerts back then too. It was a great music era to grow up in.
Talon4,Yes I remember the Yamaha NS1000 well.I almost purchased them but chose the Allison one speakers instead.
i really cant say were better then the Yamaha's.But they were floor standers which I felt were more impressive at the time.
You mention your friends a few times.Back in the 70's friendship meant a great deal.Why do i feel you grew up in New York?
Hello Goldeneraguy, I grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I still can call the same group of guys friends. The Yamaha NS1000 speakers were my dream speakers back then. Best regards, Stan
Dad had a great old Nordmende(?) console and collected folk,jazz,Perry,Dean,Frank,Torme etc.I think he had every Limelighters & Kingston Trio album. Wonderful memories.Ma&Grandma taught music. I'm appreciative of my enjoyment of music. It's a beautiful hobby to grow old with.
I guess I was destined to pick this up as I used to play with the Gramophone as a five year old. The discovery of Stereophile, being stationed in Japan where I picked a new pair of B&W 802 S2 cheap and a trip to the Adelphi in Singapore also helped.