What made you select "audio" as your hobby

I've read many posts here on Audiogon as to the extremes many of you have gone in pursuing sound perfection.
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??
goldeneraguy
Oem, your story proves that music appreciation should still be taught in every school. There are countless classical pieces & many operas that stir the soul of most young listeners. I think "America"-in particular-would benefit significantly from the excitement(without war), satisfaction(without overcoming/destroying), release(without the build up of anger & fear)and relaxation great music can provide. I can't help but imagine how much finer America and our pool of leaders would be if 'even' 1/2 the "warmaking" budget was spent on music, arts & the basics for the populace.
Do perhaps some of use this hobby as an escape from daily cares?
I'm guilty.
I thank you all for your participation. Some posts were very humorous,some brought back memories.
I hope i didnt offend any of you with the word 'AUDIO".
I know that two camps exist.Some say its the music that counts not the equipment.
Well of course its the music but i had to re-think this a few years back when i passed on a 6 Eye Columbia "Sketches of Spain" that was selling for $80 but bought a $7500 amp the very same day.
In this hobby the only thing that matters is how you feel when you hear the music.It matters not if you found it early in life at school as Oem did or if you were exposed to it from listening to your parents system,or the light was just turned on yesterday.
Perhaps poster Psacanli is correct and we should be trying to have "Music Appreciation" back in our schools.
After all,look what it did for us.
Thank you all again
Enjoy your music
Goldeneraguy
Thought provoking,maybe to much so.I'm sure the arguments will be starting shortly
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??

They were all impulse buys.

I had A LOT of money burning a hole in my pocket...