turning my system on during lightning storms

Does anybody do this

I've been listening to my system sparingly as we've had a large amount of lightning storms and find myself turning the system off quite often at the first sound of a storm approaching

Does surge protection really help ??
musicfile
Turn it off is the surest thing to do -- leave it on and you're inviting disaster (or an upgrade to your gear).
You would need to unplug the system in order to avoid lightening damage.

I'm no expert on electrical systems or lightening suppression, but I would think the most logical approach is a whole house surge suppressor installed at the meter by your power provider. That's what I'm going to do when we build our new house.

Enjoy,

TIC
Reubent is right. Turning your system off doesn't provide much protection. A lightning bolt that can jump several thousand feet of atmosphere is not going to be impressed by a gap of, at most, a few millimeters in your on-off switch. Unplugging you equipment is the best way to protect it.
Turning it off is only going to allow you to hear the storm better but its just as dangeroud as leaving it on if you take a direct or indirect hit. You need to unplug.
I use a PurePower regenerator with battery back up and use my rig all the time during lightning storms, power outs don't scare me any more!!!!!