turning my system on during lightning storms

Does anybody do this

I've been listening to my system sparingly as we've had a large amount of lightning storms and find myself turning the system off quite often at the first sound of a storm approaching

Does surge protection really help ??
musicfile
I assume everything needs to be unplugged? Let's say that you unplug everything except the tuner. Will lighting find its way through the interconnects and fry everything else?
Current will find all possible paths to ground even if your tuner provides easy one. When the rest of equipment is unplugged and well isolated from the ground current won't flow thru it but will flow thru center wire of your interconnect to input of an amp and back (high voltage will destroy/short input) thru interconnects ground to tuner and earth ground. This is not very "efficient path" but your amp's input doesn't need much to get damaged. Unplug everything.
My house took a bad lightning hit on 7/5/06- I'll never forget it. Totally destroyed the hot tub. It damaged a lot of electrical gear in the house too. I had surge protectors on my gear- Stereo, TV, Home theatre, and PC but everything with a three prong plug was damaged. The TV's and equipment that had two prong plugs were fine. The new hot tub has it's own ground rod now. btw- the large oak tree next to the house that provided the path in for the lightning (I was on the back porch and saw the lightning hit) was removed and we have had no more issues.
I unplug during a storm when I am home, but, I am not always home during a storm at the house...
What to do ???

The second posting on this thread was from Reubent. He suggested a whole house surge suppressor installed at the meter box, is not an option ?
I would at least turn the system off. A surge from a lightning strike hit my stereo in the 80s and mess up several compenents - Teac tape deck, Yamaha preamp. They were never right again after that although I sent them back for repair several times. Surge protectors may have improved but they always have a lag before the protection kicks in. When a storm comes be very careful IME.