Tweaks

The latest issue of Absolute Sound has a list of 15 or so tweaks that they say are worth doing. I would like to get some feedback from others about 3 of them.

1. Grounding Caps for unused preamp inputs.
2. Equipment anti-vibration devices such as Vibropods.
3. Aligning interconnects and power cords so that they cross at right angles to each other. (This sounds like a very difficult thing to arrange).
frepec
Leave the room, you components! Yes, all this talk about vibration misses something that should have been obvious to this subject, and that is isolate your components, especially vinyl stuff, to an adjacent room space. That way, all the acoustic energy in the listening room will not impact your components. You will be surprised at the difference.
I know, that is not often possible given PAF and other real world considerations. However, it should be tried on a temporary basis to give you a sense of what that change can do to improve the sound in your listening space. If you like the improvement, consider building an isolation box, especially for the turntable, where it will make the most difference. I have experienced two listening rooms where it was done and it made an unbelievable positive difference. It was easy to hear the difference, box and no box.
I would like to see someone who has his cables/IC's at right angles.Pictures please.I have seen this phenomen[sp]once in 59 years,but my eyes were different then,thanks,Bob
I have trouble believing that vibration traveling thru the air and vibrating a SS amp could have much effect. Audible!? Does the effect get worse when you turn it WAY up?
Now, what is the modulus of elasticity of silicon? I know from experience that it is pretty brittle. A silicon wafer, from which integrated circuits and planar devices is manufactured is weird stuff. It'll break along 'cleave' lines in the crystal and if you 'tink' it with a snapping finger, it sounds almost metallic.
Indeed, Silicon is a metalloid, a material having both insulating and conductive properties....Thus 'Semiconductor'. An integrated circuit is composed of many layers and many different materials. Oxides of silicon, Silicon Nitride, Poly amorphous Silicon, Aluminum, and various doping materials all go in to the fabrication of such devices. IC's are NOT a single chunk with a definable resonant frequency. I also suspect that it will resonate at different frequencies in different directions in the material, depending on what they start with.

I'll look up 'resonister', but so far a google has resulted only in some patent application paperwork.
A look at 'Solid State Resonance' likewise yields no hifi applications at first glance.
Now there IS a form of SS resonance which can 100% effect a circuit. If you have anything Piezoelectric, this WILL HAVE an effect. Old 'ceramic' phono cartridges come to mind. Other parts may also have such effects.

Audible? Now there's the question. The post immediately above this one suggests moving stuff to its own enclosure or another room. This would be a great way to test this idea.

Also, kind of an aside: Isn't iridium a metal and as such a conductor? Haven't you added another conductive plane to whatever you painted with it? Will anyone now be able to fix a board which needs a part replaced? Didn't you form another capacitor putting a conductor over an insulator which is than over another conductor?
Magfan, the whitepaper concerns electrotstriction and electrically-induced thermal expansion effects in monolithic silicon. In the experiment a tiny cantilever attached perpendicularly to a monolithic chip vibrated in various fundamentals and overtones, depending on the shape of the cantilever. The purpose of the resonister(unrelated to our discussion here) was to harness this electrically-induced mechanical energy. But for the purposes of discussion, the experiment proves that monolithics do vibrate from within--and thus propagate microphonics.

Now as to the benefit of applying an "anti-resonance" coating to the top of a silicon chip, I can only suggest that one try Uniko AVM as I did and assess the results. This mystery product is rumored to contain iridium, but as it is also represented as non-conductive when dry, perhaps the attribution is disingenious. In any case after applying it variously to clock oscillator, DAC, and numerous VLSI chips in the transport section, I heard what I heard: a substantial improvement in resolution, pitch & timbre, spatiality, and elimination of the last trace of synthetic "digital" sound that afflicts even a top CDP. One of the best (and simplest) tweaks that I've encountered.