How does music "move" down a wire?

Please excuse me for this question if it is dumb. I'm trying to understand how music/sound moves down a wire. (I think) I understand how sound is transmitted through air and that an electrical signal is produced by the source (e.g., stylus in groove) which, after various amplification stages, then 'excites' electrons in the speaker cable.

However, I don't know if different notes (e.g., double bass versus flute) 'excite' the electrons in different ways. That is, do the electrons excited by bass notes move slower than those excited by flute notes? To add complication, music is comprised of many notes played at the same time. Do some electrons move with the bass notes and others with the flute notes, or is it a wave of electrons with various layers of frequency one atop the other?

Would electrons be moving similarly in each wire of a stranded cable (i.e., they would only be excited within the boundaries of that particular wire) as opposed to the electrons moving across the full diameter of the cable?
kencalgary
Please, a follow-up question about signals "moving" through wire. I read that a signal takes the easiest path. If you pair two wires for, say, the positive run - one wire with fine strands, the other with large strands - will that create some difference in signal transfer, no difference, or will it provide more "bandwidth" for all frequencies?
I read that a signal takes the easiest path.
Hi Ken,

That's actually a bit of an oversimplification.

In the case of dc, if two parallel paths are present the current will divide up between the two paths in inverse proportion to the resistance of each path.

In the case of ac, the current will divide up between the two paths in inverse proportion to the impedance of each path, "impedance" at audio frequencies essentially being the combined effects of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and to a slight degree skin effect, at each particular frequency component that is present in the signal.

Paralleling two wires for each leg of the run will have the net effect of reducing overall resistance and inductance, and increasing capacitance. Except in extreme cases, capacitance is usually unimportant in a speaker cable, while resistance and inductance can be important.

Whether two parallel conductors would perform better than, worse than, or the same as a single conductor having the same values for those parameters is IMO probably not technically predictable, and experimental comparisons would probably give results that are both system-dependent and listener-dependent.

Best regards,
-- Al
Public A ha moment - pretty clear to me now why performance of speaker wire is contingent on impedance curve of speakers, amplifier capability and properties, and to a lesser (or greater) degree, the sensitivities and proclivity of the listener. Given all this difficult to see how anybody could recommend gear and wire combinations without first hand (or ear) experience with all in specific set up. I got that as a matter of common sense previously, but this series of lectures provides some theoretical and practical foundation. Nice.
Great work, Elizabeth and Al. If this site had "stickies"I would nominate your answers for the cable section.