Risk using amp Wattage than speaker rating?

I'd like to upgrade the amp for my Vandersteen 3A Sigs, but am a bit confused on whether or not I need to stay within the band of wattage (100 - 200 into 8 ohms) that is *strongly* recommended in the manual. I've read several articles/blogs/forum posts stating that exceeding the recommend power range for a loudspeaker system should be of a little concern, as long as you don't "push them too hard". What exactly does that mean? How much risk of damaging my speakers would there be if I used a 300 W/ch (into 8 ohms) amp with my speakers? I have a fairly large room, if that makes a difference. I appreciate any advice, as you all seem to be very knowledgeable about audio and have a lot of experience. Thanks, Rob
rtrauthwein
@Stevecham: 1) very large room. ~16'x24', it opens to the kitchen and the ceiling is vaulted and transitions from about 8' in the kitchen to 18' in the front of the room. primary listening position is ~13 ft from speakers. 2) I'm not sure about the dB level. Normally, listening levels are moderate, but occasionally I like to crank it. I am very protective of my hearing though, so if I begin to experience any discomfort, I always back it off a bit.

@Mechans, @Csontos, @Almarg, thanks for your input. This is the impression that I've gotten from my research so far, but it is always nice to be reassured some more.

-Rob
The only real issue is if you have teenagers, or children with access to the stereo.
Or have drunken wild parties in which you tend to wake up not remembering what happened..

If some fool flips the volume way up and you have an amp which can far exceed the recommended wattage, your speakers are at risk of being destroyed.(in seconds)
If you are the only person using the stereo, and you never get so blotto you forget who and where you are.. then you should be just fine with a high powered amp.

However:
Even a casual idiot you show your stereo to, and you walk away even for a moment that person can just reach down spin the volume and in five seconds blow out your speakers..
Or, a electronic fault an INCREDIBLY LOUD bang, and your speakers become toast through no fault of yours..
Just so you are aware of this... and take precautions... no problem.
It is my understanding that it's distortion that blows a speaker.
As long as the amp is putting out clean power you would be fine.
I used a Classe ca 300 which puts out 600 watts into 4 ohms & 300 watts into 8 ohms my 104/2 speakers sound great with no issues what so ever.
Elizabeth... no, I wouldn't be too concerned with anything you mentioned. Sounds like you've had a few bad experiences though!

Thanks for input Molocka12