Risk using amp Wattage than speaker rating?

I'd like to upgrade the amp for my Vandersteen 3A Sigs, but am a bit confused on whether or not I need to stay within the band of wattage (100 - 200 into 8 ohms) that is *strongly* recommended in the manual. I've read several articles/blogs/forum posts stating that exceeding the recommend power range for a loudspeaker system should be of a little concern, as long as you don't "push them too hard". What exactly does that mean? How much risk of damaging my speakers would there be if I used a 300 W/ch (into 8 ohms) amp with my speakers? I have a fairly large room, if that makes a difference. I appreciate any advice, as you all seem to be very knowledgeable about audio and have a lot of experience. Thanks, Rob
rtrauthwein
I can't remember the last time I had amps that actually fell within the recommended range --- below the upper limit, anyway -- for the speakers I was using, and I've never had a problem.
@Rodman99999 - I'm a little confused by your response. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying that you've seen a lot of damage to speakers being driven by amps rated higher than the speaker mfg's recommended wattage, but in the end you "always recommended a higher powered amp as safer, and cleaner sounding, for any given system". I guess you are saying a high power rating for an amp is good (even if above the mfg's recommended range), as long as you don't go overboard on the dB's? Is that correct?
I can answer for Rodman, You got the point. Clean undistorted power at moderate levels will be fine.
The only concern is that you may want tp play quite loudly. I don't know your lifestyle, but as Elizabeth said as long as you are fairly sober and aren't a closet headbanger. If you want to blast music for a party or yourself then you might want to buy a spare set of Cerwin Vegas. I am not kidding they aren't crazy expensive and are capable of high SPLs.
YES- You've both gotten the point, precisely. For those customers that came in with toasted tweeters; I gave a little clipping demo and sermon. I also had a little tweeter protection circuit(that I built), comprised of two zener diodes, hot-melt glued into a small round heatsink. When the voltage of the incoming signal(after the high-pass x-over section) exceeded the diode rating, that would go to ground, protecting the tweet. Audibly invisible at normal(below clipping) listening levels.