Up to the Minute: Streaming Bits to Audiophile DAC

I have some unanswered questions from another thread, and also some new ones despite searching the archives. So I hope this thread might be a good place for all of us who are interested in state of the art audio quality from hard disk drive based files.

Kublakhan in another thread suggested using the Sweetwater Creation Stations as hardware for a PC based audio solution and so far this gear looks pretty good to me.

My questions, however, arise from the fact that there may be some disconnect between the conventions for "pro audio" and "audiophile" audio.

So as of this writing, can anyone please explain:

Why does every pro audio person seem confused when I tell them I want to use an external DAC?

What is the BEST way to extract bit for bit data from a hard drive, to export to an audiophile DAC?

Why oh why do expensive $$$ music or media servers, which are supposedly configured to optimize audio use, nonetheless require some sort of cheapo "interface" to stream the data into an audiophile DAC?

Why on earth would I want to buy an audiophile "sound card", which I presume (in addition to an "interface") also has its own DAC?

Given the options which are available for "sound card" and/or "interface" type devices, what is the BEST way to tap the bitstream and/or maximize performance of the audiophile DAC? Optical? TOSLINK? Spdif?

Given the choices I might have for the "interface" between the computer and the DAC, what is the BEST way to minimized "jitter" or other audiophile nasties? Or is that phenomenon more of a downstream issue AFTER the bitstream hits the DAC?

There is a lot of great information in the other threads about ripping, tagging, Foobar vs Itunes and a million other complications of hard drive based audio.

But for now, I would really appreciate just some basic, conclusive opinions on the best way to get bits off the hard drive and safely on their way to my speakers from an audiophile DAC.

Please advise.

THANK YOU.
cwlondon
I wanted to post a quick update. I'm sending the WiFi-OffRamp to Steve for a minor mod and had to setup the Airport Express / Monarchy DIP as a transport. This gave me a chance to perform a little a/b comparison.

The WiFi-OffRamp definitely sounded better. I'm not familiar with all the audiophile terms, but there is definitely a notable difference, better bass, instrument separation and sound stage.
The Sims people are having an open house this Friday which will be my opportunity to check out the Transporter. Does anyone have more thoughts on this equipment?

Belkin announced today the Cable-Free USB Hub (F5U301) will be shipping in Mid-December for $199.99.

It is capable of speeds up to 480Mbps with a range of 30ft.

Check out the press release here.
For those still curious... about how a music lover goes all the way from taking out his favorite CD, to having a digital file come from his computer and out through his audiophile system... read on.

The simplist way I have found has been to insert the disc into my CD drive on my computer with iTune's preferences for automatic import on insert: Apple Lossless with error correction "on."

On insert iTunes automatically looks up the track information and performs all the tagging. iTunes also downloads the cover art. if it is available.

So far, so good... now the digital files are in my searchable and well-organized (not to mention slick-looking) itunes library, taking up about half the space they would if not compressed. (Some people prefer the open-source "flac" compression, but for me, itune's ease of importing and its integration with podcasts and my ipod make itunes my favorite.

Now the files are on my good old computer, a Macintosh G4 400, nothing fancy necessary here, speed is not necessary, only lots of hard drive space. I installed two new 160gb seagate baracudas chosen for their low noise characteristics (now I wish they were at least twice that size). In the hard drive preferences I set them up to be a mirrored pair, so if one goes out, everything is exactly the same on the other. No backing up!

As for listening... after considering my options:
Computer soundcard (noisy)
Airport (not guite audiophile)
Inexpensive external USB converter (remote control?)
Expensive external USB converter (expensive!)

I chose Slimdevices Squeezebox 3 for the following features benefits:
WIRELESS SECURE CONNECTION (802.11 b and g) with my computer (now in the other room! I like that. And now, should I decide that I would like another Squeezebox in the house, the SB3 acts as a wireless bridge, extending the range of my wireless capability. The Squeezebox also connects equally as well with your everyday household ethernet cable.
REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL which also lets browse and search and play my entire music library, play randomly, or from iTunes playlists... oh, the power!
INTERNET RADIO ACCESS with the computer on (or off!)
DIGITAL OUTS s/dif and optical for my external DAC
AUDIO OUTPUTS which are quite decent sounding, though somewhat compressed
MARVELOUS READOUT adjustable in size, brightness, scrolling speed etc.

If this set-up doesn't sound quite tweaky enough, buy Slimdevices Transporter, and get all the connectivity in the world, plus professional standards like AES/EBU, and word clock, so all your digital devices can march to the same drummer.

With word-clock, (and the addition of a master-clock and compatible DAC, digital amp, or digital speakers) the home audiophile can put the kabosh on the sonic artifacts of interconnect generated jitter once and for all (the way the studios have been doing it for years). I feel calmer already

"With word-clock, (and the addition of a master-clock and compatible DAC, digital amp, or digital speakers) the home audiophile can put the kabosh on the sonic artifacts of interconnect generated jitter once and for all (the way the studios have been doing it for years)."

Sounds good, but the reality is that noone that I am aware of has made the word-clock work yet. The fact is, most modern consumer DAC's, such as the Benchmark DAC-1 use D/A chips that perform the D/A using the bit-clock, not the word clock. No improvement in the word-clock will make any difference at all. It's the bit-clock or master clock that need to be low jitter, not the word-clock.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer