Legal & Ethical Questions in the PC Audio Age

I haven't ripped my entire CD collection yet, but I probably will in the near future. And I'll continue to buy CDs until I can download them in Redbook or better quality. I'm wondering about the legal and ethical implications of disposing of physical CDs once I've ripped them.

(I appreciate the value of keeping them around for archival purposes, but let's suppose that I'll want to get rid of some of them.)
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Frank,

Now that you've had your rant on ethics, I'm more convinced then ever that our government is TOTALLY unethical.

So my question is: How should ethicality (is that even a word?) be the responsibilty of the man in the street when our government and big business TOTALLY ignore ethics according to your standards?

Please, don't get religious on me and tell me the meek will inherit the earth......

FWIW, I do agree with your ethic policies, but it is very tough to comply when seeing all of those who are better off than me ignoring the ethics. Is ethics only for the poor?

Cheers,
John
In my last post, the story about George Lefcoe is a public story published in various ethics textbooks. In my post that paragraph ended as follows:

"I know this type of act looks benign but this is how we[sic] go further and further down that slippery slope. Each step, taken in isolation, looks innocent but by the time you get years out - you have ripped off the company for millions!"

PLEASE DON'T THINK AT THE END OF MY PARAGRAPH THAT I WAS SAYING OR INSINUATING THAT MR. LEFCOE RIPPED OFF ANY COMPANY. HE NEVER DID SUCH A THING. I WAS USING HIS OWN PUBLISHED, NON-CRIMINAL, PUBLIC STORY TO SHOW THAT IF WE ARE NOT CAREFUL, THIS TYPE OF SLIPPERY SLOPE [WHERE WE CROSS OUR OWN ETHICAL LINES] CAN HAPPEN TO ANY OF US AND POSSIBLY LEAD US TO JUSTIFY LATER CRIMINAL ACTS.

Mr. Lefcoe is a well respected professor and I am glad he is kind enough to have shared his story for all of us to learn from.
Frank - I love the story and will send you a ham for it unless you're jewish. I had jewish lawyer once and he was very honest - could this be somehow related to lack of ham temptation?
Jmcgrogan2 According to J Paul Getty, the meek will indeed inherit the earth but not the mineral rights.

Ethics are not only for the poor, who can usually least afford them but for those who seek to be ethical. It is an open invitation to any and all. None are excluded except by thier own self exception.

If one want the world to be a certain way it is often best if one acts as if that is the way it is and accept all that goes with the attempting of making the world an ethical place to live. Good, bad, and indifferent.