Novice needs Mac Mini and DAC advice

Stereo Boys, I really really need some advice. In the past 18 months, I've loaded all in on this hobby and in that short time span have gone from birth to a full blown, fairly high end system and now I'm integrating a Mac Mini server into the mix. My mind is blown with too much information and I'm losing it over which DAC will give me the best bang with a budget anywhere from $800 to $4000. I'm told that the Ayre and Wavelength don't really outperform the lower cost DACs by a huge margin. I need a shot of the truth. And I'm looking for plug and play. I'm not that conversant with all the technical science involved in all of this. I just want a clean, high res sound. Please help!!
moonshot
Wow. I really want to thank you for that input - a lot of time, thought and valuable experience went into your response. Coincidentially I've been reading about the Wyred Dac2 and yes, I've taken note in my research that the Saber chip seems to be the favored son but you went in a different direction, and that shows me I've got to audition a few of the Dacs you mentioned and choose based on my own personal preferences. And you're dead on - while I'm seeing all these marvelous accolades for high priced product that we see touted out there- it's a new day for the consumer as these things get much cheaper and better and better. You hit the mark. I've felt intimidated by my local Definitive Audio guy who says I have to spend at least $3500 (he really wanted to see me dump $7500 on a Crimson) to get anything decent but I managed to evade his clutches and I think I'll just take my time and evaluate the different product in the more reasonable range you suggested. And it makes sense. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. And not using a avalanche of technical jargon. I've got to say it again. "Wow."
Special thanks to Backgroundblur. And WTF, the Chord... yes... looking at it. You know, in reading reviews there is so much cheerleading going on that you begin to feel like you being spun around inside a tornado of hype and technical intimidation. Hey, I really, really don't get a high from seeing reams of specs - I just want to know that the "thing" does the "deal" real, real well and I want to seamlessly install it and forget it because I just want to enjoy it. And you guys are absolutely talking sense in terms of price range. I mean, come on. How expensive are these things to produce. I've got a Chinese friend who produces speakers and he's telling me that none of these products have more than $100 of electronics in them and more astounding, that the highly touted Saber chips cost about a nickle. Now I don't know if I believe it's that cheap, but it does make one pause, doesn't it? Thanks again.
Hi Moonshot, I am just like you and just went through exactly what you want to go through and learn.

I read everything and did all kinds of research. Steve at Empical Audio has great info and I leaned heavily on his site and posts. Here is what I did and I am amazed at the sound quality and simplicity.

I purchased an April Music Eximus DP 1 dac. It has a killer volume that is much better then the Wyred. The dac is also much better then the Wyred which is very good.

This dac has all you need to go into computer audio with ease and will best the sound of any CD player/transport combo I have heard to date.

I purchased a 2009 Mac Mini as my server. I did this per Steve's advice. My Mini has a large 256mb SSD hard drive per Steve's advice. Paid $500 for the Mini and $2300 for the dac used. I go from the Mini to my Eximus dac with a Cardas Clear USB cable for $150. I use Amarra and the version that Steve suggests on his site and in his posts as it sounds spectacular. This will cost you $140 with 15% off.

Buy a $5 book from the UltraFi website that shows how to optimize your Mini for best sound. Well worth the $5. Use your iPad or iPhone as a remote by downloading the free Splashtop app. This allows you to,use the iPad as the Mini's monitor. You can download Amarra and do all you need with this neat app. I also use my iPad as my remote for playing music in my iTunes files.

Rip non-compressed AIFF for best sound . Use the free xld program to rip.

The Eximus dac will drive your speakers with its internal volume and that is it.

This sounds wonderful. I have 400 cd's on my SSD drive and they sound killer. I play right from the SSD drive on my Mini. My Mini also has a cd drive so I use it to rip cd's. The newer Mini's lost this feature.

I purchased an upgraded linear power supply from Mojo Audio replacing the switching power supply on the Mini. You can do this later on if you want. No rush.
All right, Grannyring! Thanks for the kind consideration and time you spent laying all that out for. It is much appreciated. Now just give me the time to go over that one more time.

I just bought my mini and haven't set it up yet. I sort of inherited a Musical Fidelity M1 Async and haven't even plugged it in yet. My assumption was that it simply wasn't all that good but... like I said, I'm feeling my way. Maybe what I need to do is get the system up and running, play with it and learn my way around in the dark.

Honestly, and I think like a lot more people than would be willing to admit, all this technology is new to me and a bit confusing and it can be a bit intimidating to read the complex configurations and nearly logrythmic details that some people go into.

I just want it to sound good.