Novice needs Mac Mini and DAC advice

Stereo Boys, I really really need some advice. In the past 18 months, I've loaded all in on this hobby and in that short time span have gone from birth to a full blown, fairly high end system and now I'm integrating a Mac Mini server into the mix. My mind is blown with too much information and I'm losing it over which DAC will give me the best bang with a budget anywhere from $800 to $4000. I'm told that the Ayre and Wavelength don't really outperform the lower cost DACs by a huge margin. I need a shot of the truth. And I'm looking for plug and play. I'm not that conversant with all the technical science involved in all of this. I just want a clean, high res sound. Please help!!
moonshot
Hey Moonshot. I feel ya!

My one general piece of advice is to ask yourself every once and awhile: IF I HAD TO STOP NOW, WOULD I BE HAPPY? If the answer is YES or I THINK SO, then, Pencils down. You're done. The level to which you can tweak and optimize computer audio is going to be limitless. Because the rate at which PC technology evolves is limitless. High end audio is becoming more subject to Moore's Law, which has every audio company licking their chops to build DACs and other computer audio devices. Just as computers become redundant after 3 years, the thing to get music off those computers will also become redundant. So just remember to relax and enjoy the music.

Three other things:

* What you get out of your DAC is also dependent on the rest of the chain. If you don't have a system that's capable of picking up what your DAC is putting down, then spending a lot of dough doesn't make sense. I agree with advice you've been given that the higher priced you go the more nuanced/smaller the differences get. But that can be said for a lot of things in high end audio. I have the Ayre DAC, and to my ears, I couldn't do better without tripling the budget. And in that price range, there are many other audio things I'd rather put money into.

* What kind of files you have are important. If you have large number of lossy files, then that's going to play into your choice. Some DACs are not kind to crappy files.

* To that end, I would take a serious look at the Peachtree Audio stuff. For the money I preferred their sound over the Musical Fidelity DAC.
Jason and Banhamcopeland, you guys are on the money. Firstoff, I can't believe that you'd have the inclination to take so much time and share your experience to a total stranger. I just came to AudiogoN about a year and a half ago when I first loaded back into music. I used to be a rock jock in Seattle for about 20 years and burned out on the whole thing until my brother bought a pair of Martin Logan Summit's, and although they're not for everyone because of dispersion issues, I loaded in and through a huge growth spurt have got a fairly decent system running CLX's, Descent i subs through MC601's etc. etc. etc. I'm not going to bore you. But this entire system was purchased through AudiogoN contacts. Now the really unbelievable part - I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST COMPUTER 2 YEARS AGO. I was totally computer illiterate. I just missed the whole revolution. So I went Apple and the learning curve has been fascinating and it was on my own, just thinking the whole process through, that I decided to use a Mac mini as a server. I did not even know that others favored that modality. That's how off the beaten track my experience and social contact was in terms of this technology; so, I was astounted when I started looking at the Forum and learning that an entire civilization of Mac mini music servers were out there. Honestly, I thought it was my idea, if you can believe that. So, at least I was headed down the right road. But this is now where I stand. I'm all loaded up on iTunes and ready to plug in, but I want to make sure I do it right.

Hey, I'm humbly sharing this because in rereading this disclosure, I sound like I could be some kind of idiot (and maybe I am) but I'm not going to take another step forward until I get the next series of decision spot on. For example, thanks to Maplegrovemusic I read with fascination the evolution of the Tranquility series and like the fact that there is a dedicated group of engineers at an apparently small company trying to get it right and evolving and moreso, that there's someone at the other end I can dialogue with. I'm really (excuse my language) beginning to feel like tossing chunks every time I read these inane glossy reviews that "rah-rah" products. The forum through this link has lead me in some fairly interesting directions.

Now, as part of this process, I've got to learn what music player to load, obviously what DAC to purchase, if the cables make a real difference (I hate Voodoo - in fact I find myself laughing at the extreme tweakers) and now I'm a bit confused because I'm seeing all kinds of devices in the chain between the DAC and my preamp (McIntosh C2300). What next do I have to learn. Hey, I'm hoping to plug my mini into my new and be done but... what's next?

Your comments about a good salesman and the proper sales process was written like something that should be emblazoned in every store. I loved it. I wish you were in my town, because I'd buy you dinner, and then I'd buy a camera even though I don't need on.

Thanks you guys. I really think that you guys are dead on.

-Bob
Excuse the typos. I was writing stream of consciousness and hit "enter" as part of the impulse.....
You have to be willing to do some tweaks and spend some money on the Mac Mini, including SSD, external power supply and Amarra etc..

It is a lot simpler to use a Sonos or Squeezebox or even an iPod and Pure i20 and drive a good reclocker like Synchro-Mesh to a DAC. Then add the DAC of your choice and get great results. Metrum Hex or AMR DP-777 are a good start at your price-point.

The thing to realize here is that the source jitter is actually more important than the DAC. Fix that first and then get the DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve- Thank you. When I mentioned "tweaks" I was talking about super-ultra expensive cables, crystal "room resonators", acoustics improving flying saucers placed on windows, "mystery block" wood component supports etc. I understand the need for a SSD and a player. External power supply as well? Concerning jitter, isn't that the DAC's responsibility to reclock or do you really need the reclocker buffered in between the source and the DAC? I suppose this has been my point... it seems to never end, and therein my frustration. One thing is for sure; I'm going to study all this like a final exam before committing to anything so, I suppose the best receipe is is to cook up this thing over time with a lot of deliberation and investigation. Damn. Here I go 'round again. -Bob