what is good sound ?

when evaluating stereo systems, should the performance of the stereo system itself be the reference point, or should the listener be the basis for the evaluation ?

if the instrinsic quality of sound is the basis for judgment, then such concepts as transparency, neutrality or accuracy might be the standard for evaluation.

otherwise, the listener would be the sole judge and whatever criterion, be it based upon sonic considerations or physiological/psychological states, would be the deciding factor.

whatever approach is selected, what is the justification for either one ?
mrtennis
9rw, Pardon my again intruding on your post to Marco, but I can't resist. As it is now I'm ROTFLMAO. One just can't be "accurate" if you quality that statement by "at least to varying degree". Thats a cop out! 'Accurate' is an absolute term, like 'unique', you really can't use a modifier, it is or it ain't. If it ain't the degree to which it ain't is dependant on personal choice.

Don't take this personal, its not! It's just that I find that so many of the folks who use a 'live' reference either in reviews or commentary are salemen of something, equipment more often than not, but sometimes it's just their persona.

Peace, my last post on this subject...........

Newbee: It's no intrusion at all. Of course there are varying degrees of accuracy. It's nothing like being unique -- it's either unique or it isn't. You're right about that. Take two pairs of speakers that are identical in every way -- waterfall plots, frequency and transient response, etc. -- only one pair is down 3 decibels at 40 hertz and the second pair is down 6 decibels at 40 hertz. The first pair is more accurate than the second pair. And so it goes.
when considering 2 speakers which are attenuated in the bass, one may be down 3 db at 40 hz, and the other may be down 6db at 40hz. both speakers are inaccurate.
accurate is analogous to scoring a grade of 100 on a test.

thus, there are degrees of inaccuarcy, e.g., one speaker is less inaccurate than another. i believe the word accurate implies perfection. all components fall short of that. i could be wrong. one may be using the word in a different way.
Webster's Dictionary agrees with Mrtennis, and defines accurate as:
1.free from error

Loudspeakers, and all audio gear have varying degrees of inaccuracy.