Is an IPOD hi-fi?

A guy on another website said he pluged his ipod into his big rig and it sounds the same as his main CD player. I told him he had serious issues with his system if an ipod sounds like a good CD player but I'm just guessing, I don't have an ipod. Any comments?

Thanx,
Russ
russschaeffer
Time for the blind test to rear its ugly head, with uncompressed files quality cables and good DAC I am confident many would not pass the test.

You can not use a DAC with an ipod. There is no digital output. When there is, I think most of us will agree that an ipod is a VERY good source provided, of course, that lossless comperssion is used.
Jax 2 thanks for the lead on that DVD, will add to my list.

Also if you get the chance view the Tape or DVD of "Harvest of Shame". done in 1960 by Edward R Murrow, part of the CBS Reports series as only Murrow could do. Gut wrenching account of povertry in America at that time. Sad thing we have not come all that far in 2007. First time I saw this I was 16 and it has remained with me ever since.

Most libraries have this program, as it remains to this day as the definitive white paper on poverty in the U.S.
Thanks for the tip, Ferrari. I've put it on our Netflix queue. It's not listed there by title, but it is part of a larger collection of Murrow listed as part of a set where it is disk #4. Alternatively, it is listed on imdb, here.

Thanks.

Marco
Chadnliz,
That's about all I know about those things! When they come with a digital output i might buy one. I do a lot of travel, so it would be nice, but I can't bring myself to buying one. The digital output would seal the deal. It makes it a much more versatile thing.