One's trash is someone else's treasure

I would be interested to find out what “treasures” you people have come across in your journey to audio nirvana on the used market. For me, it was in 1993 (I don’t remember if the internet was already at its early stages of development – I don’t think so), and I came across an ad in our local newspaper for a Linn LP-12. The second I read the ad, I immediately called the seller who happens to be this older fellow who obviously didn’t have the slightest clue what he’s about to relinquish. I drove to his apartment and there it was, a Linn LP-12 complete with an LVX tone arm, a K9 cartridge and the smoke dustcover – all in excellent condition. The asking price? $100!!!! While I was in his apartment checking the table out, the seller received about three phone calls regarding the LP-12 too bad for those prospective buyers but first come, first serve. Talk about someone’s trash being someone else’s treasure!!!! About three years later, I sold the table for $900! It was about this time when the digital front end was really taking off with the transport and outboard DAC options. Now, I’m back into vinyl (just recently got back actually) and have a VPI Scout Aries with JMW 9 arm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. This time, my analog set up is a keeper!!!! What treasures have you come across??????
gemini
Despite ruffling a lot feathers of my audio flock, I feel compelled to defend my forefathers; the cavemen. Dekay's reference to the quite humorous, "so easy even a caveman can do it", ad campaign reflects a not so funny arrogance that plagues our generation. Because of the wide acceptance of Darwin's theory of evolution, our generation believes we are the most intelligent species ever to roam the earth. If, however, Darwin's theory is incorrect and man was created by God and in His image, then cavemen were quite likely more intelligent than we are today. As we are many generations after Neanderthal man (cavemen), we have accummulated all the the mutations of that time. Of course evolutionists believe mutations can be beneficial while creationist see mutations as reminders of mans' fallen state.
But in an attempt to steer this thread back on track, I just recalled another couple of audio gems that begat my audiophilia. I scored a Fisher reciever with a built-in turntable around 1976 for $75. I can't remember what brand the turntable was, but I remember it had an Empire cartridge (888P). What a neat looking cartridge. That console was a big upgrade from my Panasonic transitor radio. Probably the biggest one yet in my audio history.
The last thing this thread needs is to be 'put back on track' :)

pW

PS - I once sold a Krell power amp to an elderly person for less than it was worth. I cut the same kinda deals for other minorities too.
I have an interesting scenario: Let's say that I go to a garage sale in my middle class neighborhood. I see an old painting by some unknown artist that the owners have priced for $5.00, including frame. I think it will look nice in my den so I buy it for their asking price, not even considering "horse-trading" which is normal for garage sales. I take it home and decide to take the painting out and clean the frame of the old dust and crud build-up accumulated over the years from being improperly stored in their attic. While seeing that the backing of the painting is slightly torn, I notice that there is something else behind the painting inside the backing so I carefully take off the backing and find an original Picasso worth one million $$. What do I do? Take the painting back and let the garage sale owners know what they mistakenly sold me, keep it for my personal enjoyment, or maybe auction it off with a prestigious auctioneer to get the million $$ or more that it could bring? Is there an ethical or moral value at stake in this scenario?