Does a good sounding surge protector exist?

My and my friends are searching for an elusive product, a surge protector that doesn't limit the dynamics of the music. Between us, we've tried quite a few, Chang, PS Audio (Quintet, UPC, PPP), Equitech, SurgeX, Richard Gray, APS Purepower etc. However, if its a good surge protector without MOVs, eg, SurgeX it severly limits the sound - dynamics and soundstage are compressed, highs cut off...

If it doesn't limit the dynamics significantly, its surge protection is questionable at best eg., Richard Gray, Chang, PSA Quintet. Is there something out there that will protect our gear without making it sound like mid-fi crap? I open the floor...
mikeyc38
Yes, we have dedicated lines. Acutally I find with a dedicated line and the lower noise floor, the restricted dynamics are even more apparent.

My friend emailed Richard Gray and they admitted that they have minimal, if any surge protection in their devices. I believe the Hydra is the same.
I own a APC S20 with battery back up. I don't notice any limiting of dynamics. I actually love the unit. I think it smokes the Hydra 8 that did indeed limit dynamics in my system.
Gregm: "Cytocycle -- what does a dedicated line/ amplification/ isolation, etc, have to do with surge protection?"

They are complaining/investigating about a lack of dynamics using even passive surge protection... so I'm saying if even passive outlets are limiting dynamics, then they need to look at other variables.. and if you haven't run at least 2 dedicated 20amp circuits to your audio system I think you are missing out on the cheapest biggest upgrade you can do for an audio system.

Oh yeah the Richard Grey stuff sounds boring ...sorry very disappointing compared to other balanced conditioners (BPT or Platinum Power)
From RGPC's website: "it is necessary to plug in anything that may need surge suppression as you only receive surge protection when you are plugged into the RGPC unit."

ie it is impossible to have any surge protection when the RGPC is wired in parallel with the circuit. When I had the 1200 connected in parallel with the amplifier, there were sonic improvements. However, since Mikeyc38's No. 1 concern here is surge protection, a parallel connection will not solve his problem.

Connected in series, it restricted dynamics to my ears as with anything else I have tried, except may before the ChangLightspeed. Nothing was as "restrictive" as the SurgeX though (SX2120), it smuthered the sound stage and chopped off the highs.
Ummm...no the Hydra is not the same. They have excellent surge protection. Not only that when I ran my monoblocks into the wall and then into the Hydra, I found that the amps had greater dynamics running into the Hydra.

Why don't you email Albert Porter? I believe he has dedicated lines without surge protection. He probably could give you some tips on protection without a protector.