Does a good sounding surge protector exist?

My and my friends are searching for an elusive product, a surge protector that doesn't limit the dynamics of the music. Between us, we've tried quite a few, Chang, PS Audio (Quintet, UPC, PPP), Equitech, SurgeX, Richard Gray, APS Purepower etc. However, if its a good surge protector without MOVs, eg, SurgeX it severly limits the sound - dynamics and soundstage are compressed, highs cut off...

If it doesn't limit the dynamics significantly, its surge protection is questionable at best eg., Richard Gray, Chang, PSA Quintet. Is there something out there that will protect our gear without making it sound like mid-fi crap? I open the floor...
mikeyc38
John,

I read this somewhere... not sure if it accurate as I am not familiar with Shunyata.

Hydra Power conditioners do NOT come with power cords. This is because Shunyata believes that power cords are a component not a throw-away.

Is it possible that the Hydra 8 dynamics might have been limited by the power cord you used?

I honestly can't fathom how a power cord (just wires with no active components) could limit dynamics unless it was a lot smaller gauge than the household wiring and seriously too small in a gauge for the required current/power demands of the amp (a "bottle neck" so to speak).

If for a moment, I take off the audiophile hat (it sounds better, as many people swear by Shunyata) and, instead, I put on an Engineering hat; logically, if a power amp dynamics are sensitive enough to respond to the 6 foot power cord copper wire then it really speaks volumes about the amplifier's lack of capacitive energy storage in its power supply (used for transients) rather than saying anything at all about a piece of wire between the amp and the wall outlet.

Sorry for the brief interlude in engineering madness...and back to regular programing.
No you misread what I said about the Hydra, I didn't say it restricted the dynamics, but its surge protection capability is minimal if any at all. You may get great sound but no protection. My friend was using a Mac 2102 amp so I don't think there's any problem with its power supply or its design.
Mike,
No you misread what I said about the Hydra

Actually, I was replying to the comment by John Barlow on this thread. He stated that he found the Hyrda 8 restricted dynamics in his particular system.

I do understand you are looking for surge protection too (although a huge transformer power supply in a huge power amplifier is pretty good protection to start with!).