Anyone Using Bose 901 speakers In A Home Theater?

Anyone using Bose 901 speakers in a home theater? I'm considering getting one or two pair of good used 901's in a home theater setup. Anyone using Bose 301 or Bose 501 in a home theater?
128x128mitch4t
I know that my response will be difficult to swallow since I am answering your original question and not either waxing rhapsodic about the sound of Bose speakers or providing a vehement statement that Bose is responsible for all social ills. Amazing. Anyway, yes, I bought a pair of Bose 901 Series IV speakers in 1981 and loved them for many years. I still use them in a quasi-home theater setup with my big screen TV providing the front speakers and the 901's for the rears, along with an old M&K subwoofer. I drive the 901's with an Onkyo receiver. I am not the world's biggest home theater fan but the sound of movies is pretty good.
I'm 64 years old. I don't know too much about high end equipment. all I can say is I bought my 4 901 series in 1971 during the 4 chanell era. till today I still have them so I don't know what I'm missing because I never heard any other high end speakers. I'm retired so I don't have funds to upgrade. one thing I do know is after reading and hearing since 1971 is that it's better too have too much power then to have enough power. so currently I have a McIntosh mc602 power amp with 600 watts per chanell.
Well g nakamato it sounds like time to experiment.  40 plus years is a long time to spend with any speaker.  Even state of the art speakers are going to have deterioration issues, let alone mass market items.
  Are you still in a 4 channel set up?  Is your amp driving all 4 channels?  Is your TV in the system and if so, do you have a center channel to help with dialogue?
   Your ideas about power are somewhat antiquated.  The amount of power required is most dependent upon the efficiency of the speakers.
  McIntosh gear has a high resale value.  You may be able to sell that behemoth and be able to fund a decent 5.1 surround system, including an AVR, particularly 
if you buy on the used market.  Audiophiles constantly Buy and resell gear and you will be able to get relatively new equipment at knockdown prices.
Just searched that power amp.  Someone is listing one for over $5000.00
Again, selling that off would fund  a really great sounding 5.1 system, even without buying used equipment, and it would probably sound several times better than your current set up
from 1971 till 1988 i had a 4 chanell system. from 1988 till 2000 it was in storage. from 2000 till now i only listen to music, radio and tv thru my system.  in 2011 i got the mc602 and in 2014 i got the mx132. i only use it once a week. i only bought these 2 units just to have it.
back in the early 70's there was 4 chanell and i had 4 901's. i basicly had mine setup as 2 up front and 2 on the sides.
Bose products are not about accuracy, but rather musicality. They are not designed for critical listening, but rather casual enjoyment.  I had owned 301's as well as 901's in the past and I was very satisfied with the amazing soundstage they provided.  The 301's sound "classic" in their auditory signature. Both the 301's and 901's are well suited to modern jazz and classical music. I have tried many varieties of speakers after I parted with the Bose 901's and I have not yet found an equal in terms of soundstage. All brands of speakers have their pros and cons.  If you want absolute purity and accuracy in reproduction, then look for something else.  If you want musicality and vivacious soundstage, then the 901's are perfect.  Don't be misled by those who have never owned 901's but have plenty of opinions.  My home theater consists of all Klipsch set up (the last series made in the USA with silk tweeter based horns that are not shrill or harsh), my listening rooms have Carver Amazing III+ and JBL Studio monitors, and my home office is all Klipsch, but I missed the musicality and the soundstage of the 901's so I recently bought a pair for my den.  
Hello Folks
i wanted to reply regarding the Bose speaker home theatre application question.. a little background on myself and audio experience... 
i am 55 and retired and have been into audio listening really all of my life from gramps phono graph to suitcase record player to first loyd's all in one stereo , electrohome dome spaceship stereo, then in the 80's everything like Nikko/ luxman/ Harmon kardon, Sherwood, kenwood, pioneer, sansui, vector research , Yamaha , bryston, carver and the list goes on and on from cassette, cd , vinyl to streaming .. been there done that at the average joe's budget .. I also mention being in a band and my wife is a concert violinist and music teacher with a great music studio .. baby grand piano, Yamaha clavinova piano, guitars, violins , marshal stacks and both electric drum kit and full size reg kit .... 
i have what I consider to be a poor mans kick ass home theater.. overhead dlp hd projector, 120in screen, Sony blue ray , pioneer thx 7.1 receiver , Polk rti7 towers biamped, Polk ci30 center , Polk rt15 side surround and vintage  1978  toshiba floor cabinet 3 way speakers with 10in woofers, a small powered 10 in sub, all decent quality cables( 12 gauge speaker cable)  and interconnects .. I must say this little system is as good as any cineplex!! 

But now being retired purchased a set of 1985 Bose 4.2's and hooked them up in my living room ( 65in 4K has flat screen)with my Yamaha rxv575 receiver , yamaha CD player with energy powered sub and Wow!! I was blown away with these old bose! So I took my old bose 201's(1992) out of the closet and hooked them up as rear surrounds and my old 1994 infinity video 1 center speaker and again I was blown away at the soundstage !! . So what did I do next ? Well I tracked down a used bose vcs 10 center speaker and swapped out the infinity ans  I got to say it surpasses the Polk system in my rec room !!! . I find myself not only watching movies over again but listening to 2 channel music and enjoying things again. The Bose sound is spaciously enveloping with a true concert like  audio sound !! Not harsh highs or boomy bass but easy to listen to for hrs on end .. and every seat in the sweet spot not just the one ... I must mention I spent last weekend at a buddy's place auditioning his new system.. rotel 350 watt power amp with the matching preamp , pioneer elite fibre optic cd player and b&w 702's .. $11000 plus tax .. sounded beautiful when sitting in the one sweet spot and tiresome after 5 plus hrs ...
ao after all is said and done I do recommend bose speakers and a sub for home theater and two channel listening .... I add that I have read many a bose bash review and really am dumbfounded at the BS comments... I
conclude they must not have much experience or decent amps/ receivers that can set up the home theater speakers properly and ...... have been comparing a bose speaker side by side with a conventional speaker... and or really have not and are just flipping off their gums !! 
So.... go out and find some used bose or buy new 201's and 301's .. add a sub and center channel speaker and u really r all set with a great inexpensive system that is by far better than other speaker systems out there for your buck and sound !! 
In closing I mention I do not have  much listening experience with the Bose accoustamass systems other than my 90 yr old inlaws system set up in the apartment .. and it'a ease of use and sound is perfect for them and no noise complaints from neighbors!!  

i have 4 bose 901's i purchased back during the 4 chanell era. today i use it in a 2 chanell system. i would think that if you wanted to use these in a home theater setup you sholud have it in a room with no windows because the way they were designed. i don't know if the center speaker would be ok with the 901. this just my thoughts.
I agree with others that the 901s might work great - the only question is whether four speakers rather than two would ruin the dispersion effect, particularly if the sound is engineered for a 5.1 system where they put effects into specific channels. 

I think the 901s are great. Keep us posted. 
because of the way the 901's are designed, i would think that you would need a room with no windows so the music would reflect the way it's supposed to do.
Post removed 
Nobody running off at the mouth here in this thread owns a pair of m6's as they bose bash. 901s were great way before constant in your face advertising of today. They are not the bose Bluetooth colors of today. Shame on the "audiophiles" of the new century. They sounded great before speakers averaged +- $8000.
No... They really didn't sound great ever. Blose sued Consumer Reports for their scathing review of them. J. Gordon Holt had mixed things to say about them and ultimately concluded that they were outclassed by their competition. 
Haha, Consumer reports sucks in some ways. As I recall, CR highly rated Allison speakers, after which Roy Allison reamed them for their testing methods, or so I was told, I never actually read this exchange, and the truth may be buried in someone's collection of Audio magazine. 

About the only thing I think they are consistent about is their used car buying guides. 

FWIW, I have owned 2 Bose Home theater systems over the last 15 years.  For the price point, they do an above average job in producing what you want out of a HT system.  HOWEVER with today's technology you are probably better off with a high-end soundbar with a sub.  It will cost roughly 1/3rd the price and produce pretty much what the ~3,000 Bose system will produce.

I think ANYONE who even remotely trying to even suggest that the top of line Bose is up there with Martin Logans being powered by a compatible Amp is on GLUE and rightfully should be completely ignored as a commentary not worth bothering with. 

I would highly recommend 901's for home theater, especially if you also involve a highly capable subwoofer that can keep up with the prodigious output that the 901's are capable of producing above the lowest bass tones.

In '82, while in college, I owned a pair of 901 IV's.  (For reference, my favorite speakers of all time, that I have actually listened to, in order of preference:  Infinity Quantum Line Source at Swallens; Wilson Watt-Puppy system at Progressive Audio; Polk SDA-SRS at Stereo Lab; B&W Nautilus 802's at Audible Elegance; Klipschhorns at Stereo Lab; McIntosh XRT22's at Hoffman's; and JSE Infinite Slope Model 2's at Progressive Audio.  My favorite listened to and affordable speakers of all time:  KEF 104-2's; JSE Infinite Slope Model 1's; Polk SDA-CRS's; Dahlquist DQM-9's; Klipsch Forte II's; B&W CM-1's.)

The 901's, when played at a "recreating the live event" volume, absolutely were amazing when playing big-band jazz.  I had a Yamaha YP-450 and some direct to disc big band jazz albums and the 901's just made the horns and drums leap out at you.

Home theater is not "critical listening" and the 901's ability to bring impact to all but the highest highs and lowest lows make them a great choice in my book.

Last words:  We all have unique fingerprints and unique irises and unique outer-ear structures.  I'm convince we also have unique senses of taste and hearing.  What I love may be quite mediocre to you.  And that doesn't offend me or make me feel superior or inferior.

Speakers are like women:  It's not what's right; It's what you like!!!  

I run 7 901's in my HT...... Absolutely fantastic. You must use the equalizer that comes with the Bose. The tricky part is their hook ups. i have a marantz 9300 AV receiver that has PRE-OUT and MAIN-IN for ALL channels. My equalizer plugs inline between those jacks which works wonderfully. Except my center channel I use a graphic equalizer (set for voice freqs only) and carver mono amp. So bottom line, using 901's are a tad tricky.