Audio grade Step down 120-V to 12v DC transformers or Switching 120V/12DC

With more & more AUDIO Eq Mfg coming with Optional AC or 12-V DC operation of their equipment.

The question becomes the noise floor of which offers the best.

One with Linear power supply with a Transformer which creates all sorts EMI fields, etc..

Even though there’s brands like Sbooster from England are very good at this voltage conversion.

But still it becomes its +/- going with transformers baggage. Hum,etc.

Anyone having experience Switching Step down devices not using Transformers vs Electronic Switching?

If so which has found to be a better Performer?? (NOISE reduction.)

tubes444

did you mean 120vac to 12vdc? I'm going to assume that and then you will not only need a transformer but rectification as well. I think the linear power supplies are still the best but the switching power supplies are catching up quickly. that said Battery/Cap based is better still as long as the battery or Cap system can handle the current demands. something like the below is excellent I've a friend with one in his system and it made a huge difference.

https://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

glennew
dick

Mytek Dac’s offer 120VAC or 12V DC operation.

But! Several other audio companies now offer DC current operation.

Test AC TO DC shows to much transformer/noise/emi fields generated.

when using them for voltage reduction.

Were as Voltage dropping when using (Electronic switching doesn’t seem to have those issues.

If fact Benchmark has Lab test video on Youtube showing

Oscil-S measurements. To prove there findings..

Now to my question

" Anyone found a good Electronic AC to DC switching platform?"

If you applied the kind of aggressive filtering to a linear supply that MUST be employed in a buck converter or SMPS you'd end up with just as quiet a supply. Shielding a tranny is easy, but I don't think it's really necessary. A good grounding scheme is what rejects noise.