Best balanced linestage/preamp for $4000 or less ???

Hey all !!  So I need some help with choosing a preamp, preferably tube, that's a true balance design in and out.. For a 2.1 speaker system.. Need a sub so it'll have to have dual outputs running in parallel if that's the right term to use.. It'll have to have single ended inputs and outputs also.. I use an Oppo205 (Modwright) in the front end for everything digital coming in, movies and music.. But I do my critical listening with music so I use the modded portion of the 205 for that (balance output) and for movies/tv want to use the unmodded single ended outputs..

I have a Classe CA2200 amp and Salk bookshelf speakers and a sub (single ended input)..

I know BAT is out there.. VK31se I'm looking at and some older Audio Research but read them are unreliable.. Anything else anyone else have some experience with ? Will take your opinions seriously as that's how I chose my current equipment...   thanks

I know there's some good stuff single ended but I really want a well balance system through out with my music listening..

oem-wheels
Don’t know about "best" but pretty darn good. Consider auditioning a Schiit Freya. $700 bucks new with a 5 year warranty. 15 days to make up your mind. Run signal to it 24/7 for 10 days. You’ll have 5 for critical listening. If you keep it, replace the stock tubes (probably advisable; stock tubes can be noisy) with some better NOS 6SN7 options. Has 2 pairs of single-ended out + 1 pair of balanced out (all outputs always ’on’). Two pair balanced inputs + 3 pair single-ended inputs. High quality, resistor-based stepped attenuator for volume control (128 steps). Can run as pure passive, JFET buffered or tube mode (14 db gain). Very responsive to wire changes and very, very quiet even with very affordable new production EH 6SN7s. You can always spend more if you must but definitely worth a listen.
Best is subjective but Conrad Johnson is a good place to start. Great value. The highly respected classics from BAT, ARC, VPI, Mcintosh and EAR (and several others brands) come with a commensurately high premium price tag....probably out of your price range.

All that in a Freya for only $700 ? uh ..  what's the catch ? Do I have to sell my sister ? because I will ! You have one ? Soundstage, detail all there ?   thanks, I'll check it out

pbnaudio..  That looks cool too.. But I prefer no DAC .. I already have one that I spent good money on..

Backert Labs looks very doable.. In fact I saved the ad to my "watch" list.. I was going to send them a message about if this piece was a true balance design..

no Spectral for sale as of right now..

Spectral and Ayre are transistor and OP expressed desire for  tube preamplifier.  A used Atma-sphere MP-3 is excellent in terms of the sound quality, built quality, reliability and customer service. A very compelling component. 
Charles 
I know "best" is subjective.. I just meant a real good one that someone really liked above many.. Used stuff is ok with me..
Go with the BAT either 52se or 42se tube or ss I've owned both and they are great, quiet, and reliable.
the Atma-sphere MP-3 , Backert Labs , Freya looking real good to me ... how much you asking for the BAT33 ?
Check out on ebay Accuphase C- 250. Directly from Japan with free shipping and make offer.
You can simply steal...
I would be very curious to know what you think of the Freya if you try it. I have a Saga and I think it sounds fantastic. Super low risk to try, and I would be surprised if you returned it based on my experience.  I wish I had a few different pre amps to switch out and compare, but I’m confident it’s good.
You may want to look at the Aesthetix Calypso.A great sounding preamp that can be found used for under $4K. I believe it's $5K new.

http://www.aesthetix.net/calypso.php
@oem-wheels
Yes...have had one since Jan 2017. Before the Freya, I had an Opera Reference 50 pre (2-6H30 w/an EZ80 rectifier) that I actually preferred to a CJ I auditioned (can’t remember model but line stage with a pair of 6922s). In turn, the sound with the Freya was noticeably more refined and relaxed than from the Reference 50. With the gear I have (system posted) I find music to be nicely detailed, good soundstage, non-fatiguing. I use the Freya with 3 different amps: Taranis, Hegel H-200 (an integrated but I like the flexibility of the Freya so use the Hegel in power amp mode), and First Watt F7. I really like it in JFET buffer mode for the higher power amps; tube mode with the F7 (need the gain). I’m sure better is out there but I feel no need to rejoin the hunt or spend more $.

I don’t know what your listening tastes are like or how it would work with your gear. I do think it’s a high value piece. Would cost you $35 (5% restocking) plus shipping to check it out. You might hate it but at least you will know. Hope you find something that sounds good to you. Good luck in your search.

You've conveyed features you want in a preamp, but you haven't mentioned anything about what sound characteristics are most important to you or what you'd like to improve upon over what you have currently.  You'll get much better recommendations here if you can share that info as well. 
I was going to suggest a used Atma-Sphere MP-3, as Charles did, except that I’m pretty certain it only provides a single pair of XLR outputs, and no RCA outputs, at least in its standard configuration. If you can find one that you would want to consider, though, a call or email to Ralph Karsten at Atma-Sphere would be in order, to see if he could modify it to meet your requirements.

Many of the other suggestions that have been made also will not meet your stated connectivity requirements. In addition, many tube-based preamps (NOT including Atma-Sphere’s) will have problems driving the line-level input impedances of many and probably most powered subwoofers. Line-level input impedances of most (although not all) powered subs tend to be in the range of 5K to 20K or so. 20K is the lower limit of the load impedance ARC recommends for most of its line stages and preamps. Also, many line stages and preamps made by ARC and other companies drive their RCA output connectors with the same signal that is provided to one of the two signal pins on their XLR output connectors. Which means that the output stage providing that signal would be loaded by the input impedances of BOTH the sub and the main power amp, and the input impedance of the sub may therefore affect the signals received by the main power amp. In this case your power amp fortunately has a high input impedance (100K), but even so 100K in parallel with 20K would result in the preamp seeing a load impedance of only 16.67K. And 100K in parallel with 10K would result in a load impedance of only 9K.

I would have significant concern about BAT preamps as well (many of which would require, btw, that you use an adapter or transformer to convert balanced outputs to single-ended, to drive the sub). For example, while the VK-50SE has a specified output impedance of 200 ohms, presumably based on a mid-range frequency, Stereophile measured its output impedance as rising to 4600 ohms(!) at 20 Hz, which would make it unsuitable for use in driving a sub having a typically low input impedance. And the corresponding numbers Stereophile measured for the Aesthetix Calypso were not a great deal better.

I have no knowledge concerning the Backert preamps, but based on a quick look at the other tube-based models that have been suggested the only one that I suspect might meet all of your connectivity, functionality, and drive requirements is the Freya!

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

Thanks Al !!!

That was some good info .. I'm going to have to take a closer look about the subwoofer and maybe take it out of the equation for now..

@almarg  ..  would finding a preamp with direct coupled outputs solve this issue ? The MP-3 MK3 is designed this way and I see some other preamps heading this way..
would finding a preamp with direct coupled outputs solve this issue ? The MP-3 MK3 is designed this way and I see some other preamps heading this way..
The direct coupled output of the MP-3 would have no trouble driving both your amp and a powered sub, if it could be modified to provide RCA output connectors in addition to its XLR connectors. I’d imagine that in general that would also be true of other tube-based models having direct coupled outputs, but I’m not aware of any such designs other than Ralph’s. And I think the design of his direct coupled output circuit may be patented.

But there are certainly a number of tube-based designs having capacitively coupled outputs or transformer coupled outputs that would also be suitable in that respect. Offhand, though, I can’t think of any that I know would also meet your other requirements and preferences (balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs; balanced internal signal path; tube-based; ~$4K or less).

Regards,
-- Al

@almarg 

well don't laugh but its a Paradigm Monitor 8 .. Been meaning to upgrade it but been other things first.. Its not bad though is why I keep putting it on the back burner.. Applied the PBK to it.. I checked the specs after I read your 1st post and can't find the impedance anywhere - manual, online, Paradigm website..

BAT makes transformer coupled output with both XLR and single ended.. But after the "false" claims BAT posted on its impedance I think need to look elsewhere..

I think the MP-3 its going to be and find a sub with XLR input

If you shop around you can get a new PS Audio BHK preamp in your price range.
The Liberty B2B-2 will drive your speakers 😄  almost - Almarg the almighty always give good advice.  

Good Listening

Peter 

I was going to suggest a used Atma-Sphere MP-3, as Charles did, except that I’m pretty certain it only provides a single pair of XLR outputs, and no RCA outputs, at least in its standard configuration. If you can find one that you would want to consider, though, a call or email to Ralph Karsten at Atma-Sphere would be in order, to see if he could modify it to meet your requirements.
@almarg , @oem-wheels , the Atma-Sphere MP-3 is stock with dual outputs. Older units might have single outputs (dual outputs were optional), but extra outputs can be added inexpensively.
SST Ambrosia 2000 can be had for $3000 to $3500 previously enjoyed.  
I encourage you to read ANY and EVERY review,  you won't find anything but wonderful.  

Here is a few cut outs:  
The Ambrosia is a sensation at any price point. Here is a full function preamplifier complete with MM and MC phono capability that for me bridges the sonic gap between solid-state and tube designs. If you already own a tube or hybrid amp, the Ambrosia should prove most complementary. Competitive with the best money can buy.
 Dick Olsher, Enjoy The Music

“I shall not be coy when it comes to the performance of the Ambrosia and the Ampzilla 2000: These are, simply, great components. I’ve never heard better electronics in any system of
mine with which I’ve had long familiarity, while the shortest of short lists would be sufficient to contain the few that seem to me in the same league.”
— Paul Seydor, The Absolute Sound
Any of the BAT VK-30 series will be hard to beat and they are plentiful in your price range.  I have an older VK-3i and it is outstanding.  If you like tube rolling, look for a VK-31 none SE model.  
Post removed 
The the Atmasphere is a good suggestion. A Sonic Frontiers Line 3 might work nicely too.
Freya has issues. I’d stay away. The only thing it has going for it is price. I bought one with a Vidar and it was plagued with microphonics and I, like many, had to place heavy items on the case to stop it from ringing.

i think it could be a god piece after version 2.
th top of my very short list is Parasound Halo JC 2. I own their P 5 which I use in balanced mode
A useful thing to check for when looking into balanced preamps is whether they support the balanced standard (also known as Audio Engineering Society file 48).

The reason to support this standard is to eliminate the sonic artifacts of the interconnect cables that will otherwise occur. If you've ever had to audition cables and maybe paid extra to get the one that sounded right in your system you know what I'm talking about. Imagine a system where all cables sounded as good as the best you've heard regardless of price; that is what the balanced standard is all about.

Here is the standard, in a nutshell:

Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is non-inverting (in the US) and pin 3 of the XLR is inverting (in the US; in Europe these two are reversed).

Ground is ignored- no signal return currents are conducted in the shield; the shield is for shielding only! This is the area where most high end audio preamps have problems and is why you hear so much variance in conversations about whether balanced is better or not.

The output of the balanced source is low impedance. To this end, it should be able to drive 2000 ohms without loss of bass or increased distortion. The lowest input impedance of solid state amps tends to be 10,000 ohms and 100,000 ohms is common with many tube amps so you might think this unnecessary . But this low output impedance is important if cable immunity is to be maintained.

Freya has issues. I’d stay away. The only thing it has going for it is price. I bought one with a Vidar and it was plagued with microphonics and I, like many, had to place heavy items on the case to stop it from ringing.
gochurchgo - Is it possible the microphonics you encountered were due to noisy tubes? The stock set supplied by Schiit with my unit were noisy and very sensitive. Replaced them and NO microphonics...no noise of any sort with volume full up and nothing playing. Tap on the case...nada. From my own sample set of n = 1, I don’t think the Freya "has issues" other than 6SN7s can be noisy; hence the advice to be prepared to replace them. Noisy 6SN7s does seem well-documented. Buy tubes from Brent Jesse and he’ll test them for noise before shipping.

To the OP, for a larger user base and broader range of experiences, check out the thread here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-freya-impressions-and-tube-rolling-thread.832177/page-100
I’m sure you’ll find a few users that did encounter microphonics and tube noise. You do have a money back (less 5%) return window. Schiit customer service was very responsive and quick supplying a return label for the bad tubes and new tubes when I needed them. New tubes shipped as soon as they got notification the old tubes had been picked up by FedEx.

OK. That’s it for me. Don’t feel like being whacked by E-dith Prickley’s fanboy shtick.

some very good info being said.. learned a few things.. thanks atmosphere.. and everyone with their suggestions.. I'm liking the MP-3 now a lot .. getting rid of my sub as I found out input is 10k ohms
OP,
I believe you'll find the MP-3 a very satisfying high quality preamplifier. 
Charles 
@oem-wheels If you plan to get an MP-3, it has no worries driving a 10K load or even a lot less. IOW it can drive the sub and your regular amp no worries. The biggest issue is whether the sub has balanced inputs- many don't.
Not to throw a wrench in this because I'm sure you'll be thrilled with an MP-3, but since your sub ain't all that anyway what about going for a sub that uses speaker-level inputs ( Rel, Hsu, etc.).  I think your amp has a second pair of output terminals and it would open up options for other preamps.  Anyway...

thanks soix... 

pretty sure going with the MP-3 regardless.... but  little out of my price range.. going to have to wait a little longer to get it..

Check out the McIntosh C47 for $4000. Check out the TAS review of the McIntosh C52 and you give up nothing in performance by going with the C47.
+2 for Calypso. Sounds very clear, fully balanced, many impedance loads to choose from and has a built in demagnetizer if your using MC carts. 
The McInTosh C47 certainly  offers a myriad of input options, flexibility and features. I would be surprised if it offers the tonal purity,  resolution, transparency, openness and musical nuance as the Atma-sphere MP-3. Just my opinion. 
Charles 
Buy a pre-owned Accuphase or Pass Labs. You want the lowest noise floor you can get.

If you took apart a new Mac you would never buy one.
um , maybe not ... $5600 with phono... don't need that part
The MP-3 is also available as a line stage.
I can highly recommend a used Audio Research LS-16 for your system. I've encountered zero reliability issues with Audio Research. You should be able to find one for less than $2000. Replacement tubes are inexpensive and rarely need changing. Happy listening!
I hate say it, but i think igot you all beat.  I picked up a used aesthetic Callisto pre eclipse for $4200.  Dual balanced, excellent volume control (for each side), dual outs for the sub and separate chassis for the power supply.  Now the extra chassis can be a pain if you dont have room in your rack, but the detail and huge soundstage is worth it.  Also, a used Asthetix Janus signature can be found for around the same price, the only issues would be dual volum control on the Callisto level.

happy listening!