Can the Manley Neoclassic 300B handle a 2 ohm load

Hi all,

l am very interested in this amp, however my speakers have a load dip down to 2 ohms, although nominally they are 3 ohms plus. Rated at 96db efficency however.

Would the Manley be OK with this type of load, or will the bottom end be MIA?

Cheers Simon
mondie

Showing 2 responses by reubent

The Decware Zen/Select amps love a 2 ohm load. I have a friend that purposely builds a series of speakers with 2 ohm impedance specifically to be used with the Decware amps.

If you can live with about 1.5-2 watts/channel, it might be a good choice. Of course, you could buy/try/resale a used one and lose nearly nothing since they are inexpensive to start with and hold their value pretty well.

BTW, I don't own a Decware amp, but I have a few friends that do. They love them and I've heard their systems. They can be very good in an appropriate system.

Enjoy,

TIC
Simon,

For a nice, natural sounding solid-state amp, you might want to consider the Channel-Islands VMB-1. I own a pair of these relatively inexpensive solid-state mono-blocks and they are very good, even spectacular considering the $999 list price. And they come with a generous return policy.

There are some comments about them on the AudioCircle web forums.

I really like them. They are 40 watts/channel, small and generate almost no heat. They are a similar design to a GainCard or GainClone amplifier. These are sometimes also referred to as "chip amps".

I have currently replaced a series of tube amps with the CIAudio VMB-1s and don't miss a thing......

Enjoy,

TIC