Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Point taken .It was not obvious to me . I thought you were just some self appointed expert  out of their mind dismissing the Mozart and later Haydn symphonies as well . 

I found Mahler's 8th on a cassette earlier today, recorded from a CSO broadcast from sometime in the '90's.  Levine is conducting.  Not going to be a reference (tape is a bit off) but giving it a listen now anyway.  First movement finished and... it's a bit nuts isn't it? Now an interview with Levine, how nice.  I found a few other broadcasts I recorded so it should be fun going through them.

I've added Bruckner 7th to my exploration list, as well as Puccini’s" La Boheme" (I'm sure I've heard it before).  I'll check to see if I have any of Beethoven's trios.  Also, someone mentioned Leo Janacek so I'll add him too.
I didn't appreciate Mahler until listening to stereo LPs.  

I'm new to this group, and probably will make a fool of myself. And, horror upon horrors, I have no particular preference for composers. I was taught  music should be judged on its own, and not by who wrote it. Performance of a piece is another matter. 
I'm an Old Fud, whose introduction to classical music was listening to Enrico Caruso on 78 rpm Victor Red  Seals, played on a wind-up Victrola using cactus needles - -  and whose first opera was Carmen, in the Met,  with Risa Stevens.  
Brayeagle,
 Don’t worry about making a fool of yourself.
We do it all the time.
hi guys I don't know if any of you know of this program but I have found it and it is free. I have been using O and O software for a few years and have just found a really good piece of software they have with the catchy title Windows 10 shut up. What it does is it switches off things that run in the background of Windows 10 and makes a big contribution to  cleaning up your apps that play your music. You can use it in a couple of ways you either use it with all options ticked to get full benefit or in stages to see which one works for you and the good thing is it is completely reversible at the click of a mouse. Do try it as I said before you have nothing to lose as it is completely free.