Deciding between Yamaha or Marantz

Hello everyone, I need to get a new Pre and trying to decide between the Marantz AV8801 or the Yamaha CX-A5000. The Marantz is about a $1k more, is it worth it? Speakers are SF Liutos, Mac MC205 for power, thanks in advance.
kalbi23

Showing 24 responses by bo1972

hahahahahahahahaha..lol

Audyssey do it yourself measurement......just use your brains!!
Everything in audio is about results. Creating a better sound than others. Quality sells and rules!!!!
The Marantz has the option to use Audyssey pro as well. The difference between XT32 and our way of Audyssey Pro is so big. Like you bought an amp which is 2-3 the amount. It is so much more natural sounding, like you bought a class A amp. There is so much more drive and also resolution compared to XT32.
I sold Marantz for a very long period. In the past I loved it a lot. But during time Marantz started to use less expensive parts in there sources and amps. This changed the sound i the lower price range Marantz works. They use quite small transformers in there amps. When you compare it to Onkyo they use more and better parts. So what is the difference between the Onkyo PR-SC5509 and the Marantz AV8801? The focus of instruments and voices is a lot sharper with the Onkyo. But the biggest difference is when you use a higher level of amps and speakers which also can give a wide and deep stage. The stage of the Onkyo PR-SC5509 is a lot wider and deeper when you compare it with the AV8801. Marantz is what we call a more 2-dimensional image. I am also a Audyssey installer. With Audyssey Pro and the Onkyo PR-SC5509 I beat many even stereo pre amps of 10.000 dollar. With the Marantz I cannot get the stunning 3 dimensioanl image of the Onkyo PR-SC5509. Yamaha is not of the same level of these both.
I owned the Pass Labs XP-20 for over 2 years of time. I have over 3 years of experience with Audyssey. With my way of measurement with Audyssey pro I beat my old XP-20 with my Pass Labs poweramp. The Onkyo PR-SC5509 with Audyssey pro is stunning. I have to admit that I measure totally different than Audyssey does. I use Audyssey Pro from a highend perspective. People with very expensive pre amps don't understand why an Onkyo beats there expensive stereo pre amp. Hearing is believing. Without Audyssey the Onkyo is not that special. With the Marantz the same thing. Audyssey is not an easy system to use.
I sold Arcam for over 8 years of time. It has a very musical sound, but does not give the level of depth and wide of the Onkyo and Integra. There is almost no depth. And there is no roomcorrection. With Audyssey Pro you can get a superior level in sound compared to any system without. Audyssey EQ and Dynamic Volume will give you a lot more resolution and dynamics when it is used precise.
I sold Arcam for over 8 years of time. I realy like the products they make. A few years ago I went to Arcam in England for a few days. Very nice people. But the level with an Onkyo TX-NR5010 with my own way of Audyssey Pr measurement is superior to an Arcam 750. The difference is that I can get a much more realistic sound with the 5010 with my measurement. The biggest difference is that I can build a very wide an deep stage with the 5010 and Pro. Also the resolution is at a much higher level. Without the measurement the level in timing with a subwoofer is of a much lower level. Without roomcorrection you Always will get more acoustic problems. The integration you can achieve with Audyssey pro is of another world. Without roomcorrection I would never have gone to use surround for myself. Audyssey did change my thinking about surround and also for subwoofers to use for stereo. Before this I was only interested in highend Audio for stereo use. I never thought that I could achieve the level which I had in my head for a long time. At the end it was possible. With Audyssey Pro and my way of measurement I got the stealth integration with my subwoofer.
With the 5010 I can get a very deep and wide stage. The stage of the 750 is so much smaller. These days I only focus and sell a 3 Dimensional sound. Most 2 dimensional products I only use to let my clients understand the difference in stage between them. It is very easy to make people understand why it is superior.
In the 15 years I am in this business I Always test as many as I can do see what the properties are of a brand. Depth and wide is a very important part you always test and compare. And yessss you have to find this out yourself. It is very easy to let people hear the difference in stage between Onkyo and brands like Marantz and Arcam. A client used a Marantz surround receiver so we brought in the Onkyo TX-NR818. This one gives a much bigger stage and a much sharper image compared to Marantz. It is very easy to let peolple hear why it is better. When Marantz would be better, this would be the one to sell. I can get Marantz for the same conditions. But I want my client to get a 10 and not a 7,8 or 9. Arcam has a very musical sound, but has not the 3D image Onkyo can give. Every person understands the difference. Most shops has less knowledge and do not know all the different properties of all the brands they sel. This makes it so easy to compete. That is why I love to send my clients to other shops for 2 dimensional products. I do this way for over 6 years know. It gives a lot of fun to do.
I sold a lot of Marantz and Arcam in the past. They still make good products. I am Always looking for the best overwhole sound. So I choose those products who are able to give a better end result. It is the difference between good, better and best. I am only interested in the best. This makes it a lot easier to compete against other shops in audio.
We measure at totally different places and hights. This gives superior dynamics and endresults compared to how Audyssey use it. I have done many tests before I knew how to use it. Ofcourse I keep this for myself. I have a big advantage compared to competitors in this business now.
I compared many amps in my life. They have a very important influence on the stage as well. When you compare Onkyo, Pass Labs, Primare, Denon, Marantz and Arcam on the same speakers the difference is huge. The Pass Labs has by far the widest and deepest stage, Followed by Primare. Then Onkyo comes. Arcam, Denon and Marantz have only a little of depth. I have done these tests over and over again. For me it is like 1 and 1 is 2. Even When I used speakers who could give a deep stage and the amps as well. After we connected a Arcam cd or dvd player the depth was gone. For depth all parts need to be good at giving a deep and wide stage. In 15 yera sof time I have done thousends of tests in audio. Because this is the most fun thing to do. I was addicted to this for many years. In the beginning when I started in this business I did 80 hours every week in audio.
Marantz changed the level in parts they use for there amps and sources. This changed the sound and quality a lot. In the past I sold a lot Marantz. But these days I am not such a fan anymore. Onkyo made the same misstake as Marantz. But there is one difference. They went back to better and more expensive parts. I am not focussed on a brand. But Always focus on that brand what gives the best quality at the moment. When I compare a Denon or Marantz with Onkyo on Monitor Audio speakers I loose depth and wide. And I loose individual focus. When you owned a lot of highend this is the way you want music to sound. I was looking for brands what could give me the depth and wide as some good highend brands can do. I wanted to create a stunning level in sound for a much lower price. So it is affordable for many people. Audyssey Pro how I use it changes the overwhole sound dramaticly. It becomes so much more realistic like the more expensive amps. The difference in sound between Audyssey XT32 and Pro is stunning. Arcam has a very involving sound, but lacks the deep and wide stage brands like Primare gives. When you compare the sound of Arcam to Pass Labs ( what I did a lot) the difference is huge and you know how much better Pass labs is. Okay it is a different price ,but it is still a big difference. The same about stage. In the last months I sold a lot Onkyo to people who own Marantz. It is easy to let them hear the difference in speed, drive and also focus. This is after my measurement. When you can measure more dynamics compared to the Audyssey way the sound also becomes more involving. The lost of dynamics is a reason why Audyssey can work negative.
I do not own a shop, and yes I do consulting. I worked for over 8 years in a shop. Consulting is about freedom. I only wanted to sell what is the best in every price range. Clients get more value for money and it is very easy to compete.
The difference between XT32 and Audyssey Pro ( how I use it) is even bigger than buying an extra poweramp of 3000 dollar beside it.
All I can say Audyssey need to be used extreme precise. You need to do many many measurements to find out yourself. The people of Audyssey are smart people. But I think differently and I use it differently. My focus is on how much dynamics I can measure. How to get the most deep and wide stage. How to get instruments very sharp and small in dimension. The best resolution. That is why I use it my way. The way Audyssey use it, it is ok. There were many aspecys I didn't like when I did it there way. The 3th time of doing a measurment I had thought how to get a better end result. The funny thing is that I spoke a person who thought he knew how I do it. But it is a lot different. Audyssey is not an easy system to use. But when you use it precise, you can get a much higher endresult than all the others. I Always say: Audyssey has almost no room for errors. This you have to keep in mind!!
The roomcorrection from Yamaha is very easy in use. Audyssey has no room for errors. The system from yamaha is more forgiving. This year Yamaha was beside our room. They showed me a demo.
I am not a technician. They are great technician. I am addicted to music since I was 6. They do totally different things, like they are better in developing. I am happy that these people are here to bring us much better sound quality. I started in audio for work in 1998. I am a lot different than most other people in audio. I spend much more time in testing. Compared to most other people in this business I spend a lot more money on audio. I also spend a lot more money on music, bluray and concerts than most other people in this business. I have never seen this as a job or hobby. It is like a natural part of who I am. I am a very demanding person and a perfectionist. I use brands in audio cause of there properties. I want to know if they have those properties I am looking for. This way of thinking ans working has the big advantages to create a much higher level than other shops do. I want my client to get the best sound for there money. i Always want to win from every other shop in audio. Because I love competing, that is why I love shows. The other thing why I love shows is because I f....hate all those worse and average demos at shows. Many of these people are not good enough and see there job as work. As a perfectionist you can get very irritated by everything what is inferior. In audio there are too many inferior products. And yesssss on of the most importsnt reasons why I still do this work. I have seen and met many dissapointed people who spend a lot of money on audio. Often they made wrong decisions or got the wrong advice. And I hate all those people in audio who focus on just making money.
It is not about me, it is about quality. And it does not cost a lot of energy. The way I work there Always will be people who do not like it. Then I say; show me a better quality in sound. The essential thing that only counts is music and quality. The rest doesn't matter. It never will be about me, but about new ways of thinking in audio.
Audio is about letting people hear the best sound for the money they spend. So you need to persuade them that you give them a higher quality in sound. Hearing is believing. This is how you sell the best quality in audio.
People can find out things themselves. What I said many times; it is not about me. Audio is Always about quality. People need to look further. Many focus just on a few things. Many do what other tell them what is best. Same about Audyssey. People use it like Audyssey tell them to use it. Even time and technique go on and on. Things can change very fast. What is good, can become average soon. That is why I do not care about brands. When other brands make better quality, this will become the new standard. That is why you need to take time when you want to buy something new in your set. In the past I even send clients to other shops to listen to competitors. Even when they already wanted to order things. I want people to understand why things are better.