Denon DL 103 modifications and re-body questions thread

Dear all

I bought a DL103r to see what the fuss is all about, and found it fairly pleasant. Many people go on about re-bodying the cartridge so I took the plunge and bought an aluminium body.

I have noticed a few threads that are a bit disparate on these questions - the first question on my list being what I needed answered, but it would be helpful if thoughts can be posted on the other questions from those with the know how.

1. Should I glue the cartridge into the new body
2. What glue should I use
3. What are the characteristics of the various materials
4. Should I re-tip
5. What sort of new tip
6. who should I get to re-tip
7. Best arm matches
8. best tracking weight

lohanimal

Showing 2 responses by islandmandan

I just looked at Zu Audio's website regarding their Denon 103 cartridges. They glue the cartridge to the body using an unspecified "epoxy matrix". You might try researching epoxys to see if you can find a suitable one.

I had a new white sapphire cantilever and Paratrace stylus put on mine by ESCCO in England, at the time mine was done (about three+ years ago), it cost $350, and was very well worth it. Unfortunately, there was three month+ wait until I got it back. It turned out to worth the wait and expense for me, YMMV.

Soundsmith also retips the Denon, but there is a goodly sized waiting line there as well.

I use mine with a Dynavector 501 arm, where it seems to be a very good match. I usually set the tracking at 2.25 grams, though Escco said 2.00 grams would be fine with the new cantilever/stylus (they replace the spherical tip).

Regards,
Dan  
Some of us are new to vinyl, or returned after many years away from it. Myself, I was lured into the D-103R after reading Art Dudley's review of the Zu Denon. Then, I found out about the ESCCO mods here on A'gon.

Sometimes when your experience is limited, and the choices are many, we just do the best we can. My Zu-ESCCO 103R is a great cartridge for me, I am very happy with it. It out performs my Dynavector XX2MKII, which is quite a nice-sounding cartridge too.

I guess I should just ask questions instead of answer them, though I have learned a great deal, with the help of many fine, knowledgeable members of A'gon, and for that, I am thankful. I will state though, my largely DIY system would put many sky-is-the-limit systems to shame.

Flame on, my brothers!

Dan