I just inherited 800-1000 CD's and a lot of them are filthy

I looked at the list, but I didn't see anything  new.  Does that mean that eyeglass cleaner or Dawn is still the best way to go?  I have the Novus  kit for the scratches, and a bunch of old tee shirts.

Thoughts?

JD
128x128curiousjim
You can use a wash in Dawn (or any detergent) and tap water. Then a spray rinse with distilled water and air dry vertically. No need for any special cleaning fluid. 
For an all around good CD cleaner, go to Walmart and buy a spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner. Its about two bucks a bottle and is every bit as good as the expensive stuff.

Frank
That "Novus" plastic cleaner should be fine. I use Novus #1 Plastic Clean and Shine. Remember to clean at a 90 degree angle (so they say). You can also use it for the jewel boxes. In my experience, CD players are very forgiving of surface scratches. 
You can also dry them with clean towels. Dry straight across, and avoid circular motions! 
I have found it best to use micro fiber cloths and not cloth towels.

David Pritchard
I use a car fine polish. Meguiars Scratch X to polish CDs and DVDs.I use VIVA paper towels. Sadly Viva now makes cheap ones too. Use only the wide smooth version. The imprinted with a textured pattern are not any good, nor are the narrower tear off sheets as good. Only the plain wide tear off sheets are really the best. (like cloth)Washing first is a good idea. If you have thousands, perhaps investing in a CD polishing machine? All the used stores seem to have versions of CD polishing machines.
curiousjim,

Use paper towels at your own risk. Cloth is best! I bet you're glad you saved those old tee shirts.
Microfiber is absolutely the way to go.  Avoid paper towels, tee-shirts, tea towels, cotton, linen, etc.  I learnt the hard way with previous pairs of spectacles.  A couple of large microfiber cloths are inexpensive, they dry easily, and they are washable.
Wash them with dishsoap. If alot of them are scratched badly and it’s worth it to you to save them a two wheeled bench grinder, two jeweler’s buffing wheels and compound works wonders. You have to be careful or you will burn them with too much pressure.
I used eyeglass cleaner and it removed most everything. I think what's left might be fingerprints that after 20-30 years are permanent. I've played a few and I can't hear anything out of the norm. Maybe I'll try the Novus and see if it removes the marks, and if I can hear a difference. 

JD
Novus Cleaner...with Microfiber cloth. Polish with Novus - holy crap it’s the very best for Plastic and Acrylic. Seriously.
Worst case, ie badly scratched, rip them to your PC using Exact Audio Copy, which if you give it enough time, will do what the name says, assuming a disk is readable at all.

Otherwise, what everyone else - cleaner + microfiber cloth.  I've never tried polishing out scratches, but now have ideas.... Thanks guys.
The free stuff is expensive.    March them to a use record store  sell them now.