If You Like Funk: Check Out Vulfpeck

Please leave your thoughts: love it, hate it, somewhere in between or indifferent? And I apologize for the bad dancing white guy in the video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTUnDV3MgVQ
Ag insider logo xs@2xastewart8944

Showing 49 responses by astewart8944

My teenage boys are currently very into this band. They both play in school music programs (one symphonic and one jazz) and their music mates are mostly vulfpeck fans. When I hear it, I think 1970s funk...of course this is a group of nerdy white guys, but it seems to work. 
@shadorne I don't...but I saw Don Henley perform that song live, complete I think with farfisa.
@roxy54 Thanks for weighing in. Glad you liked it.
Thanks for all the comments so far. Yes, it is true it is not pure funk ala James Brown. I stand corrected. It isn't the opposite of funk--it has a driving beat. It is not disco. The best analogy of this particular track is Jackson 5. In fact, when I first heard this track I played "ABC" right after it. I have heard several cuts off two Vulfpeck albums, which collectively puts their overall sound in a category that to me shows influence from 70s funk and R/B--but I'm glad we are having the conversation. 
@tooblue Can I mark you down for don't like it?
@tpreaves I accept your assessment that it isn't funk. But do you like it?
@jriggy Like it? Hate it? Indifferent?
@onhwy61 Thanks for listening. The bass player is very good. From the other tracks I have heard he is the best musician of the bunch. Like it? Not like it?
@everest_audio Thanks for the link and observation.This links I think confirms your insight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7796-au8U
Do you like it?

@bojack Thanks for the forthrightness. Opinions is what the post is seeking.
@frogman Thanks for posting your opinion.
@philjolet Thanks for contributing your thoughts.
@everest_audio Thanks for the input. And I agree musical tastes vary greatly. It makes the music world go round. I am currently in the cool position of hearing my kid's music. They have devoured my music: rejected some of it, embraced most of it and have started running different new music by me. I am always fascinated by how our generation hears their musical taste. Some would think it is predictable, but it is not. On the flip side, one my boys has a large group of spotify followers listening to his playlists--which he admits should be titled "My dad's music plus Frank Zappa"
Peace
Al   
@david_ten Thanks for commenting. I like the The Beautiful Game comment especially. I'm also really grateful for everyone who is weighing in. I'm trying to get our generation listening to and honestly commenting on the current generation's latest stuff. This helps my dialogue with my sons and also their friends. Believe it or not they really care about what our generation says about music. Generally speaking, they just don't think we will listen to it. I grew up in a house where my music needed to be kept low because my dad wasn't interested in hearing it. Now, I listen to almost anything--and I have found that saying that I like it or I don't (after listening to it) is the most important thing. Why I like it or don't, at least to me, is not the main point. BTW, I like Vulfpeck; I don't love them. I think the bass player is very good and will probably outlast this band. I also happen to like this Brothers Johnson number https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgsJLGQTfEE which Rolling Stone describes as a funk (R&B) band. After listening to more Vulfpeck, this is where I think they are trying to get, at least on some of their tracks--clearly not there yet IMO--and might not get there.      
@david_ten +1 Galactic//"Crazy Mongoose" Very delightful! New to me: Who is that drummer?
I just sent the link to my boys.
Thank you
Al
@david_ten Do you have an opinion on which Galactic "Crazy Mongoose" CD is better? There is a Capricorn Records (1998), Volcano Records(1998), an Evangeline Recorded Works (HDCD) out of the UK(1998) and a Universal Int'l (HDCD) from Japan (2000). 
@thepigdog I respect that. Thanks for weighing in.
@frogman Thanks for the kind words.
@shadorne This list is terrific. I own every Snarky Puppy release (I think). Thank you for all the recommendations. I will be listening through it.
@grey9hound Thank you for your list too. And I'm right in your age bracket (54). I just bought the "Crazyhorse Mongoose" CD per @david_ten recommendation (BTW one son gave the Galactic track he heard a 7 out of 10--from a 17yr old this is pretty high praise. The other hasn't given it a listen yet.)
If anyone else has music recommendations, I highly encourage posting them. If someone recommends it, I will listen to it (at least once).
Regards
Al
@fmpnd Thank you. You are not hijacking the thread. I asked for recommendations and you are delivering in spades with some history too. Perfect!
@chazro Thank you for the input! I will check it out.
@david_ten Thanks for the link.
@acman3  Thanks for your link too.
@shadorne I listened to the first three recommendations on your list. Tower of Power (I listened to the S/T album (with the terrific singer) with my boys--we all agree: that's a great album--I bought the CD on discogs); Strokeland Superband (first album: I listened to it with my wife. I learned the guy who put the concept together reunited Tower of Power and brought in some other folks too. At one point I said, "Man, that singer sounds just like Huey Lewis..." Of course, all the rest of you probably know--he actually sings on the album. I liked this album a lot. I bought the CD from the record label site.) Rastus--This one falls into the I can take it or leave it category: the album felt uneven to me. But, I'm glad I listened to it. I'm traveling so I can't tell y'all exactly the album. I will keep working through the recommendations everyone provides.
BTW IMO this is when Agon is at its best--opening the musical door for others.
I'm very grateful.
Regards
Al
I just finished listening to Tower of Power's "Back to Oakland." The first word that came to mind is "complete"--It has everything. Great horns, beautiful harmonies, driving beat, upbeat funky, lush strings in some places, the sax player is GREAT and the main lead singer is feeling it. Oh and there is tremendous variety while remaining within the genre. This is a Full album--yet not overproduced. @shadorne can you please just send me complete playlists please?! :-) @fmpnd Squib Cakes is a very fun song. And I'm getting ready to listen to some of your recommendations next.
I will tell you what I think afterwards.
I have now listened to Sante Fe and the Fat City Horns' "The Answer"; the band was recommended by both @fmpnd and @chazro 
I like the band overall, although I found this album a bit uneven. It seemed to lose its focus at times. I should note that I'm a big proponent of albums, so that is generally how I listen to artists and bands. Anyway, I like the band enough to give it another go with a different album after I work my way through the other recommended bands above.
@fmpnd recommended Five Alarm Funk. I listened to "Anything Is Possible." This is the most eclectic group I have listened to from the "funk" groups listed above. This album is from 2010. Maybe the singer has changed (I hope so), I'm not into the singing numbers--the singer has no range--but there are only a few singing numbers. This group's sound is a mashup of big horns, a lot of guitar with the distortion and gain pushed up and a bass/drum combo that stays in sync pretty effectively. The song "UK 47" has a very cool bass groove and "Face Riot" is infectious. The shout-outs are super cool to close out the album..."ladies and gentlemen remember anything is possible!"...this song (Face Riot) is a winner. Thanks Frank. I can predict that this album is going to be a hit with my boys and their band buddies.
Regards
Al    
@grey9hound BTW I enjoyed the "ranting and raving." Glad you laid out your system for us too.
Regards
Al 
@chazro Per your recommendation I listened to Jon Cleary's "Go-Go Juice" to end out my evening last night. I already was a bit familiar with Cleary from his work with Scofield on "Piety Street". So, my take on "Go-Go Juice" is that it feels like you walked into a New Orleans club and this sound meets you at the door. It is terrific because it is accessible. It is not the big sound of TOP, or Sante Fe and the Fat City Horns or Five Alarm Funk. That is not a knock on it at all. I like it--a lot. I bought the CD. This thread is starting to cost me money :-) New music is always a good thing!
@fmpnd Thanks for the heads up on the new TOP CD. I'm going to get based on your recommendation. Also, please post a report after the 50th Anniversary concert. That should be cool.

@chazro Awesome backstory! My son plays the bass and Marcus Miller is one of his idols. I bought him "Afrodeeza" on LP for Christmas a few years back. At the time I could only find it for sale outside the US. That, I thought, was tragic. Pretty cool album though. There is a guy who should have more vinyl in his catalog.  
@acman3 and @shadorne Just listened to the Dirty Dozen Brass Band album entitled, "Twenty Dozen". Nawlins' Music!. Wah wah trumpets, swinging tuba, foot tapping--this is dance in a Southern Louisiana street music,--but then there's "Git Up" a slowed down groove--horns harmonized--smooth with the organ holding chords while the sax slides over the top of a chunky walking bass lines. I like the relaxed pace of this band. They can slow down without sounding tired--that is hard to do. They rev up without losing the groove. The album is clearly New Orleans flavored but the tracks are all different from one another. Wow, so far all these recommendations are impressive. 
Keep 'em coming--and if you can add a story--all the better.
Regards
Al   
As I mentioned earlier (I think), one of my boys plays drum kit. He told me today that his band buddies all picked songs to feed into a group music stream to listen to together. He picked this one, from a a new LP he bought on record day--It is from the Bernard "Pretty" Purdie and Friends--"Cool Down" album (2018). The song is called "Elevate"--I think BP was 78 years old when this record came out. IMO this album is very uneven, but BP is still at it and "Elevate" is one of the better numbers on the record. If you haven't heard BP's record "Soul Drums" (1968) it is a beat machine, phenomenal drumming, but the sonics leave quite a bit to be desired. "Elevate" is below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWN73WfFUQU
@grey9hound The final album I listened to last night was your recommended "Renewable Energy" by The New Mastersounds. Compared to the other recommendations I have listened to thus far, this felt like a smoother funk record. I enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know about this band.
@fmpnd On the thread, my pleasure. Less we forget, this thread started by my teenage boys being willing to have me ask y'all what you thought of a band they current follow. BTW my family now calls this thread "old audio funk dudes" I kind of like that. :-) And my bass player son has been playing the Strokeland Superband album, "Kick It Up a Step" for his buddies, thanks to y'all.
Regards
Al 
@chazro California Honeydrops new to me too. (A lot is new to me) I like that cut. Thanks for posting it. Keep 'em coming... 
@david_ten BTW I'm sitting here right now listening to the Galactic "Crazy Mongoose" CD that arrived today. My boys both sat down earlier and listened with me for a bit. Awesome. On Childish Gambino, they are fans...I will tell them you are cooler than me :-) 
Great post!
I'm always fascinated by what Roon picks on the radio when an album finishes. I just finished playing (again) Tower of Power S/T (thanks @shadorne) and Roon selected "Vein Melter" from Herbie Hancock's HeadHunters album relating it to TOP's "Just Another Day." I've included both below so you can decide whether you think they belong together:
Just Another Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2g8nOuTYLo
Vein Melter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZy7v_-ss74  
I just finished listening to Lettuce's (2008) release called Rage!. If you like your bass front and center this is the album for you. I'm a bass fan, so it really worked for me. Although released in the last 10 years this album has a lot of the 1970s built into it IMO.
Happy listening!
Regards
Al
Last night I listened to Cold Blood's Sisyphus album (1970). It contains "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)", a song written by Isaac Hayes and David Porter, and made into a Top 20 Billboard hit in 1969 by Lou Rawls, although first recorded by Mable John in 1966. Others have covered it too. If you're interested in some different takes on this song (funk/soul/blues) see below:
Cold Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-21dGLEEE
Etta James
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrPG5jYxec
Bonnie Raitt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ac226K5Bqo 
IMO they all work pretty well.
@veroguy Thanks for posting both the links and your thoughts. Welcome to the thread.
@aniwolfe Thanks for contributing.
@maxnewid Thanks for joining the thread and the listed recommendations. If you listen to something new, please post your thoughts on it.
Regards
Al
@frogman Wow! Thanks for the great link. The drumming is fantastic. Denard was in the pocket (ala Steve Jordan) for more than 5 minutes before "Gonna give it the drummer..." gets rolling. Skills on display. And the bass player ain't bad either. 
@maxnewid Thanks for the link. Stax! I recommend the Rock and Blues Museum in Memphis for a partial Stax history lesson. I understand Stax has its own museum but I haven't been to it. I remember listening to Alex Chilton's "Big Star" years ago and thinking this must be where Stax lost its way. I happen to like Big Star--but definitely not the Stax sound.
@chazro Man, you are funk machine. BTW you can always post Brecker Bros. IMO
My 17 year old bass player asked me to post this for the consumption of the old funk guys. It is Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles. Most you probably know that Cory Henry also plays with Snarky Puppy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G8jNEbi4YU
@shadorne Since you have so many Maceo Parker albums, please list your top 5 favorite albums you would recommend be in every funk collection. I appreciate it. And thanks for continuing to feed this thread with good stuff!
@chazro Keep it coming! You are helping make this thread a fun daily learning and listening experience.
Regards
Al
@aniwolfe Thanks for the Screaming Headless Torsos links. Those are two very different links! :-) JoJo Mayer knocking out the drumming--he is young in that video--fast sticks.
OK old funk dudes, my teen drummer asked me to post this video which features one of his favorite drummers (DW). If this ain't funk, nothing is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RS5RsSPssw
@chazro I just received the CD "Like You Mean It" by The California Honeydrops. It is a cool record, that based on what others have recommended, I think many who have posted on this thread would enjoy. I recommend others check it out.
@frogman I appreciate your viewpoint and I think you are on to something that flavors several posts regarding, the label "funk." Clearly, I accept a broader definition than others, but honestly as long as we are sharing music I'm good with any post that furthers the conversation and provides an example. Keep it coming. Oh and that Jaco P. post--love it. My bass player son spins the vinyl Jaco Pastorius S/T routinely. JP is one of his bass idols (the other is Marcus Miller). (My kids follow real deal quality players--and they crawl all over new music too that is not has "technical.")
@grey9hound Thanks for the new Wulfpeck link and the DLO3 link too.
@shadorne Great AWB Live link--everybody should love this one.
Oops previous post should have said "Vulfpeck" instead of Wulfpeck. My bad--apologies to @gre
@frogman Great Brecker Bros. link. Thanks, my boys are twins and a lot of fun--currently working out Snarky Puppy "Lingus" bass and drum parts. We live in Dallas so any band that has a whiff of a UNT grad (formerly North Texas State) they are generally interested in hearing more. Pretty cool.
@prof Rich, welcome to the conversation! Glad to have your input. This has turned into a great resource. Please feel free to keep adding to it. My listening collection continues to grow based on fellow Agon recommendations in this thread.
@chazro Thanks for the post. From the first post we now know MM can dance too! I noticed that the video never shows LW dance moves. Funny. Second post--that is great smooth groove--Thumb way up! I'm going to have to buy that one. On Marcus Miller, do you happen to know if the new release is available in vinyl? Back in 2016 I couldn't find vinyl Afrodeezia in the states and ending up buying it from a guy in Africa.
So, after listening to @chazro's latest posts, I scanned the right column recommends and came across this link--four keyboards, five horns (I think), drum kit, electric bass and guitar--these folks are having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCopcNpzc60
Which then lead me to this Brian Culbertson piece where he plays some tasty trombone and pass offs with the sax player that are worth hearing. Bass player isn't shy either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCopcNpzc60
@chazro I was just listening to Jon Cleary's "Go-Go Juice" thanks to you. Great CD.
@ghosthouse regarding Brian Culbertson--your welcome (I think ;-). I hear you on the packaging--but those boys can play.